All Z71 Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likearock

Reaction score
Bought a used 04 Z71 Tahoe for the wife. Has original tires on it still which are the Goodyears. Not a big fan plus they have discontinued that model (go figure) For the guys that are still running stock rims, what tires did you switch to and why. I'm looking for better ride. Understandably the 71 has different susp (right?) so the ride won't be the same as the autorides or even maybe the LT's.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What type of driving/conditions are you looking at?

likearock

Reaction score
90% taking the 3 kids to the baseball practice. Nothing off road. Will do a small amount of pulling but will be limited. I know the new Goodyears with the silent-armor is suppose to ride nice but would like to hear it from someone who has them on their Z71.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe that the only thing different on a z71 is that they have different shocks and skid plates and it might come with a G80 which is a locker in the rear(I am not sure about this one)

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelins would be a good tire to look into but they can be kinda expensive.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, not too much difference other than stiffer suspension. I am running Nitto TGs on my Z71 and have had nothing but a good experience with them. Rain, snow, ice, all around great!

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires

I run Michelin LTX M/S on mine, and I do lots of stop & go city driving. Lots of slick places when it rains too. I have not had any problems with traction on these, and they handle very well. I've only had to use the 4WD once off-road, in about 8" of mud... and they worked fine.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M/S

I always ran these tires on my Chevy truck, and I bought it in 1994 brand new. I have never had any problems with them.

Kinda pricy I guess, but why cut corners on something like tires?

Good luck!

BH

likearock

Reaction score
The LTX's are nice. Had these on my Toyota LC.

Thanks to all so far for the feedback.

Mark

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The LTX M/S, is an awesome tire. Also if you want to stay with the Michelin family, you can also go with a BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail touring or a Uniroyal Laredo. Either of those tires, you will be happy with.

I had firestone Wilderness LE. A very crap tire IMO. I went with a BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A and am more than happy.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Michelin Cross Terrain on my previous Tahoe - they sucked! Went with BFG's instead - great tire. On my '07, have the factory 18" Bridgestone AT's and like them alot after 15K and 1 winter - just a bit loud. Contemplating between the BFG's and Nitto's for my next tire - both come highly rated.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you do is street driving then just get street tires. I'm on Toyo Proxes ST 266/70/16 but your size is a little bigger since you have a Z71. You can get them for very cheap especially in OEM size. I think I paid $100 a piece for mine.

I've had mine for a year and 10k miles and the wear is very good. They grip way better than those crap OEM Firestone tires my Yukon came with and they look better! Toyo from my experience seems like a good company in general. We have The T1-R tires on the BMW 540i 6-speed and it sticks on the track.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a lot of research, I found that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza is a great tire and at a good price too. They are original equipment on a host of vehicles inlcuding the newer Tahoe's, Yukon's and Lade's. If you dont care about price, I would go with Michelin's definately, but the Dueler is a great tire. I've had them for about a month now on my Yukon and have no complaints.

likearock

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm still undecided but will be deciding soon. Going to replace the shocks as well to help a little.

Thanks,

Mark

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tnezukon said:
After a lot of research, I found that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza is a great tire and at a good price too

Yea they are a good tire to, my sister has them on her jeep with probably 10 to 15k miles on them showing little to no wear and they ride good. But I have also have a set of Bridgestone dueler Revo's and that was the biggest waste of money I only got like 20 to 25k miles out of them and someone else i know never could get them balanced.

What shocks are you going to go with?

likearock

Reaction score
Bilsteins for sure. Maybe 5100 series. Its such an easy swap and since I'm going to drop cash on new tires, why not spend an extra 200 bucks on some better shocks. I'm again looking for more damping. I'm not going to mess with Bridgestone. It will be BFG, Mitchy's or possibly Goodyears. I like the aggress look of the new silent armors however she's at a point where she doesn't care about looks. Just wants a better ride. Personally I think the shocks are probably ok on the truck. Most of the riding issues are (I believe) are coming from the tires. I did dump down my psi to 32 which helped. I'll loose some mpg but right now all she's doing is driving in town.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilsteins for sure. Maybe 5100 series. Its such an easy swap and since I'm going to drop cash on new tires, why not spend an extra 200 bucks on some better shocks. I'm again looking for more damping. I'm not going to mess with Bridgestone. It will be BFG, Mitchy's or possibly Goodyears. I like the aggress look of the new silent armors however she's at a point where she doesn't care about looks. Just wants a better ride. Personally I think the shocks are probably ok on the truck. Most of the riding issues are (I believe) are coming from the tires. I did dump down my psi to 32 which helped. I'll loose some mpg but right now all she's doing is driving in town.

The Wrangler Silentarmors are a good tire, but they do look better than they ride. Having said that, I had BFG's on my 2003 Z71 and they were awesome offroad, but they didn't ride nearly as good and weren't nearly as quiet as the silent armors.

I'd go with the Goodyears or Michelins.

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
My Z71 has Wildcat EXT's on it. I have been around autos for a while and i bought this truck as a repo; i had never heard of these tires and the former owner lived in the mountains where more tread is needed. I absolutely love these tires though, very quiet but the tread pattern is something im a big fan of (more of a BFG a/t m/t and Nitto/pro-comp fan). These tires give very smooth ridability and from what i saw online, they are pretty cheap. Goodluck

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
My Z71 has Wildcat EXT's (275-70-17) on it. I have been around autos for a while and i bought this truck as a repo; i had never heard of these tires and the former owner lived in the mountains where more tread is needed. I absolutely love these tires though, very quiet but the tread pattern is something im a big fan of (more of a BFG a/t m/t and Nitto/pro-comp fan). These tires give very smooth ridability and from what i saw online, they are pretty cheap. Goodluck