Another Blackbear Tune Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khool750

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm sorry if this was covered but I spent most of my work day trying to find answers and got close but not exact. I'm hoping Jennabear chimes in on this one. I have an 08 tahoe, and I just have the magnaflow catback installed, but plan on a CAI of some sort, but sealed. My question is, before I purchased my truck, the EDGE seamed to be what everyone on here was talking about, and then I stopped hearing about it. What are the major differences, pros, and cons between blackbear and the edge? Also, I keep reading that when there is a trip to the dealer, you must change out the ecm for the stock one. This seems a little troublesome. Has anyone ever just taken their truck to the dealer with the blackbear tune in and had it serviced or warranty repaired? I imagine you would only need to swap it if your trans or motor pooped out right, not for something like power windows or electricals, or something not dealing with the drivetrain. I've been talking to Justin, but I just don't see any reason to bother him directly seeing he is a busy man, and I know I can get the answers here. So what do you guys have for me?

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to take it out anytime you take it to the dealer because they plug into the onboard computer for so many little items that they wouldn't get the right readings for with the tune installed. I really don't know anything about the black bear or edge but I had a Hypertech power programmer on my Hummer and I had to uninstall it everytime I took it in to the dealer. (On the advise of Hypertechs techs.) I think if the dealer finds out you have a power tuner on your Hoe they'll make note of it and if something goes wrong and you take it in for warranty work it might be a problem.

I might be talking out my ass here but it seems like something they might pull.

khool750

Reaction score
check this one for my info you might need.

http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12392

I actually read that thread just before I posted this one. It was very informative, but it did not answer either of my questions, which were, can I or has anyone every taken their truck back with the tune in place, and what are the differences between the EDGE and Blackbear tune, and which one is better for the money? I've had some nagging issues with my truck, you know little odds happen and I've had to return to the dealer several times, and just wondered if I would have to take the blackbear off, every single time. You know, like if the rear wiper breaks, or the dvd stops working, or i break a door handle, you know issues that have nothing to do with the drivetrain? Also, that thread never mentions the EDGE, and I really want to know what the pros and cons are between the two. I really hate sending justin emails on questions like this as he is a very busy guy. Anyway, I hope you guys can help me out, I'd love to order this thing.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on your dealer and the techs there. Some dealers are cool with it and some can be asses about it.

The recommended thing to do whether you have a custom tune or hand held tuner is to restore the factory tune before going to the dealer.

Another thing is that if the dealer reflashes the PCM or TCM with a factory update, then your tune is gone. This can cause a real headache for some hand held units.

With hand held tuners, their updates are based on general parameter changes for the type of tune you're wanting (max performance, economy, etc), whereas a custom tune can be adjusted to what you want in particular from your truck not just a general set of changes. Everyone wants something a little different and a custom tune can provide that.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should restore your stock tune before going to the dealer with the edge or blackbear tune if possible. The edge manual states that you should do this and also says that the dealer will be able to tell if you have a tune if they look for it. The same applies to the blackbear tune, which is why some of us, including myself, got an extra set of modules. This allows us to keep our OEM modules intact, take them in and the dealer won't be able to tell. If you opt not to take the extra set of modules route, and you take your car into the dealer, and the BB tune gets overwritten (with updated software, etc), BB will reflash it for you for no charge. As DofD said, it will vary by dealer if they get pissy about your tune, I took the route I did to circumvent the issue altogether.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone also mentioned in a thread awhile back that if you return your ECM to factory tune w/ a handheld like Superchips, there are some artifacts left that a real snoopy dealer can find and tell that there was a tune in it.

khool750

Reaction score
It really depends on your dealer and the techs there. Some dealers are cool with it and some can be asses about it.

The recommended thing to do whether you have a custom tune or hand held tuner is to restore the factory tune before going to the dealer.

Another thing is that if the dealer reflashes the PCM or TCM with a factory update, then your tune is gone. This can cause a real headache for some hand held units.

With hand held tuners, their updates are based on general parameter changes for the type of tune you're wanting (max performance, economy, etc), whereas a custom tune can be adjusted to what you want in particular from your truck not just a general set of changes. Everyone wants something a little different and a custom tune can provide that.

ok that was terrific information and exactly what I was looking for. but one more question. if I have to perform a crank relearn each time that means I would need to either purchase a scan cable or wait in line for one from justin or pay 50 bucks twice for a shop to do it each warranty visit right? or are you guys saying I can swap these on the fly and keep going after the crank relearn for the first bb tune?

dknappia

Reaction score
I thought you only performed the crank relearn the first time as the pcm/ecm had not been in the truck before. Justin/Jenna?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ok that was terrific information and exactly what I was looking for. but one more question. if I have to perform a crank relearn each time that means I would need to either purchase a scan cable or wait in line for one from justin or pay 50 bucks twice for a shop to do it each warranty visit right? or are you guys saying I can swap these on the fly and keep going after the crank relearn for the first bb tune?

Sorry for seeing this so late, see below please.

I thought you only performed the crank relearn the first time as the pcm/ecm had not been in the truck before. Justin/Jenna?

This is correct, once you perform a crank relearn on a PCM/ECM then it is there for your vehicle and you never have to do it again. The exception is if you swap engines or the battery dies or is disconnected while the key is in the ignition.

I personally took my tuned Tahoe into the dealer and politely asked them not to flash it. They never had a problem and never flashed over my tune. Most (if not all) dealers will just hook up to the PCM and reflash if you dont have the latest software updates. We send out every tune with the latest GM updates, and if you think you need a new one, we have no problem doing a retune.

As to your Edge question, we have had many folks switch over from handhelds to our tunes, remarking on how much of a difference our tune makes over the handhelds. It was already stated but I will reiterate, the handhelds usually only modify on average ~10 parameters whereas Justin will change on average ~60-70 depending on your modifications.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

khool750

Reaction score
Sorry for seeing this so late, see below please.

This is correct, once you perform a crank relearn on a PCM/ECM then it is there for your vehicle and you never have to do it again. The exception is if you swap engines or the battery dies or is disconnected while the key is in the ignition.

I personally took my tuned Tahoe into the dealer and politely asked them not to flash it. They never had a problem and never flashed over my tune. Most (if not all) dealers will just hook up to the PCM and reflash if you dont have the latest software updates. We send out every tune with the latest GM updates, and if you think you need a new one, we have no problem doing a retune.

As to your Edge question, we have had many folks switch over from handhelds to our tunes, remarking on how much of a difference our tune makes over the handhelds. It was already stated but I will reiterate, the handhelds usually only modify on average ~10 parameters whereas Justin will change on average ~60-70 depending on your modifications.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Jennabear, thanks a lot for chiming in. I'm glad you guys cleared this up for me. That was the only thing that made me hesitant about the tune. I couldn't imagine doing a crank relearn on every single warranty claim. I've had 5 so far, and I bought my truck 4 months ago, mostly bs trim things and fit and finish, but I just wanted to clear that up. As far as having the factory ecm, I guess that wouldn't be a bad idea, I take my truck to a Hendrick dealer, and they seem like they can be A**holes sometimes. You know, like I had some areas on my leather that looked like it was seperating after the 1st month, and they said that they could only fix it, wtf? I didn't really want to go EDGE anyway, it seemed like a con to me because it was all preset tunes. I want to thank you guys for your help with convincing that this tune is ok. I appreciate it.