battery side terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billkat

Reaction score
Hello all, first post. Would anybody have repair advise for completely stripped out battery side terminal on '99 Tahoe? Rethread w/oversize bolt same length etc. Thanks in advance.

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy new battery and cables and convert your connections to top posts (side post suck)

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont want to buy new battery, run a longer slightly oversized threaded stud into the battery terminal , slide wires on it, then put nut on.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bill, welcome to the forum.

I think that you COULD retap it for a larger bolt, but for safety purposes, I would suggest replacing the battery witha red top or yellow top Optima, depending on your needs.
but if you machineing master, you could try it, I guess. But I agree, get new battery, and convert to top post mounting. or do the Big 3.

either way, welcome.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to mine. it stays tight enough so nothing falls off tho. i put a post extender on it n added another (top post) battery on the other side and run all my accessory stuff off of that.

kebler95

Reaction score
How does some tap in a side post to place a bolt in it to connect the battery connection on the side. I am trying to install one on my dad's truck n he tap in the negative post to put a bolt in it . I have not done it before so I'm not sure how to go about it.
Thanks .

kebler95

Reaction score
Yea, I know lester it is confusing as hell man. I could not explain it any better than what i did. My Dad he did a lot of customization to his truck that i can not figure out how it did it. And Lester I'll have my live stat report on my tahoe that i was speaking with you about on another thread sir, but i've been trying to figure out my dads truck lately so i can utilze it. But no worried everyone, I did get a hold of one his close friends that understands what it was he has done with his truck.

On his Optima Red Battery, one of the battery connection post on the side is knocked in and he has this double sided bolt going through it and I bought a battery under the Optima grade and the bolt will not fit in it like the orginal one that he did. He some how made a hole in the battery without damaging it..

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I would replace the battery ASAP if you rely on the vehicle sounds like the battery is damaged, it may leave you stranded somewhere....

If nothing else, a picture is worth a thousand words....

kebler95

Reaction score
Oh its not a asap thing , I inherent it from him . But yes I will take a pic of it cause I Wil explain what my words can not lol

kebler95

Reaction score
Got the truck up and running !!! Just put in long bolts n now she (marliyn ) runs like a champ again !!!