Best year Tahoe to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my QX4 today! Took me 1 week. Now, I have the cash too look for a 'hoe.

What year is the best? I've been trying to read about them, but don't really know if I understand correctly? 2003 seems to be when there were alot of adjustments made. Are there any bugs or pains ITA on the 00-02? That seems more like in my price range.

Thanks in advance.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 04 & 05 models were the best, but that's just my opinion. They added hydroboost brakes for 2004 along with new wheel options and a tire pressure monitor. I had an '03 Z71 which was a great truck that I traded for the 2008. No real differences between the 2003 and 2004 except the hydroboost TPMS though.

I really prefer the 2003-2006 to the 2000-2002 because of the interior, the new interior is so much more comfortable and better looking IMHO. Besides that I couldn't live without the DIC.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The DIC and speedo issues are the exact reason I bought a 2002.

You know what it all boils down to is what works for you.

Whatever year you buy, chances are the bugs will have already been worked out by the previous owner.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is an interior difference in 2003? I hadn't gone to look in person yet, cuz I didn't have the money. Now I do, so now I'll go take a look and compare between the '02 & '03. What were the differences?

What is DIC? What's good about it? What's bad?

What's the differences in the hydro boost brakes?

I'll do some googling as well. Thanks guys!

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interiors of the 03-06 look a little more modern than the 00-02. It's minor stuff like the radio, climate control, and instrument cluster but once you get familiar with the differences, they add up. My friend drives an '01 Suburban while his dad drives an '05. The interior differences are like night and day.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is an interior difference in 2003? I hadn't gone to look in person yet, cuz I didn't have the money. Now I do, so now I'll go take a look and compare between the '02 & '03. What were the differences?

What is DIC? What's good about it? What's bad?

What's the differences in the hydro boost brakes?

I'll do some googling as well. Thanks guys!

The 2000-2002 interior just looks outdated/cheaper to me. The leather is nicer in the 2003+ models, they have the digital climate control, better head units, steering wheel controls, turn signal mirrors, etc.

The DIC is the Driver Information Center, it has things like AVG MPG, distance to empty, engine oil life, a timer, annual mileage, trip settings (business and personal) that include distance, time, AVG MPG, gallons used, average speed, % of annual mileage. It also remembers your mirror settings, lets your control how long your lights stay on after you turn off the engine or unlock. Little things like that that I hate not having.

The only bad thing about the 2003+ models is the failure of the instrument cluster. Most are going to need it replaced by 100k, many before that, many after that, but odds are you're going to have to replace it at some point. Good thing is- GM has an extended warranty on the clusters and will replace them until the truck is 7 years old and has 70k miles. What usually happens is the MPH hand will go haywire and stick or not register.

Here is how edmunds describes Hydroboost: "For 2004, Tahoe introduces Hydroboost braking. Most power-brake systems rely on engine vacuum to reduce braking effort, but Hydroboost uses power-steering fluid pressure, which provides added safety, with more reserve power assist for braking under specific conditions. The system will continue to provide sufficient power assist to stop the vehicle even if the engine stalls or is turned off. Hydroboost brakes that provide more reserve stopping power and decreased pedal effort"

The only time I really notice a difference in the brakes in the '03 and '04 models is when towing or when the brakes are slammed on, its not really anything to buy an '04 over an '03 because of, though.

Heres the picture differences between the 02 and 03 interiors.

Attachments

• 2000ChevroletTahoeSuburban_.jpg
    2000ChevroletTahoeSuburban_.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 53
  • ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 58

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks so much for the pics! I really appreciate that. I can see, the difference in the steering wheel controls (which I would really prefer) and the console. The older trucks look a bit cheesy (IMO) with that cd player in the middle of the console *WTF?*.

The heater controls, are fine to me in either pic. Are those the only differences? Door switches are the same? and actual gauges the same too? How is the '03 + leather nicer?

I'm going to go look at some today. It's just a PITA to go to a dealership and look/test drive w/out having to fight your way out of there.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks so much for the pics! I really appreciate that. I can see, the difference in the steering wheel controls (which I would really prefer) and the console. The older trucks look a bit cheesy (IMO) with that cd player in the middle of the console *WTF?*.

The heater controls, are fine to me in either pic. Are those the only differences? Door switches are the same? and actual gauges the same too? How is the '03 + leather nicer?

I'm going to go look at some today. It's just a PITA to go to a dealership and look/test drive w/out having to fight your way out of there.

in an 03 you can go 20 mph faster with the 120 MPH speedo :smilielol:

I like both inteirors. 02 feels more like a truck. 03 is more classy. Bose radio, and all the other extras. Plus ITS NEWER!!!:)

The hydra boost thing I have never noticed on my 07 or 06. But also have never had my engine stall while brakeing. But if the engine stalls, doesnt the power steering pump loose pressure??? so your SOL anyway. Also I feel that if you can push the peddle to the floor while idling, you should be able to in an emergency stop. :thumbsup:

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hydra boost thing I have never noticed on my 07 or 06. But also have never had my engine stall while brakeing. But if the engine stalls, doesnt the power steering pump loose pressure??? so your SOL anyway. Also I feel that if you can push the peddle to the floor while idling, you should be able to in an emergency stop. :thumbsup:

I don't get this either. With vacuum assist, there is a check valve that holds vacuum in the booster for a couple good pumps if the engine is off. I don't know how they do it with hyrdaboost.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The door switches are all different. The heated seats, power window switches, handle, everythings different except the general design. The actual gauges are totally different.

Shopping for a car is a PITA anyways I cant imagine how it must be with slow business.

Attachments

• 2000ChevroletTahoeSuburban_.jpg
    2000ChevroletTahoeSuburban_.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 18
  • tahoe 024.jpg
    tahoe 024.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the 02's have the piston slap noise??? Might not be an issuie..

I had an 02 with autoride. An bought a 04. The 04 seems quiter inside. Rides ALOT better than the 02. And the break rotors are 1 inch bigger, they stop so much better. Interior is a huge upgrade in the 04. And I think the 04 has a lil more power.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the 02's have the piston slap noise??? Might not be an issuie..

I had an 02 with autoride. An bought a 04. The 04 seems quiter inside. Rides ALOT better than the 02. And the break rotors are 1 inch bigger, they stop so much better. Interior is a huge upgrade in the 04. And I think the 04 has a lil more power.

All 5.3's have the piston slap at some point. My '03 didn't start have it until 85k but my '04 is already starting to do it and it just has 42k. Doesn't really bother me it goes away as soon as its warmed up and I only hear it outside the truck.

That's true, GM added 10 more HP for 2004.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well again, I appreciate the feedback. Makes looking at the Tahoes much easier, and also choosing the right one from the start!

I'm kind of in between the '02 & '03. I have found plenty '02's in my price range. LT's w/3rd row and sunroof. I have found maybe 7, '03's, but most are cloth, and the LT had about 146K already.

I'm trying to spend in between $7-$8K. And it has to have leather, preferably sunroof and no captains in the second row. 3rd row doesn't matter too much, but is preferred. Mileage, between 80-120k. Willing to travel w/in 850 miles +/- (from CO). It will only be a daily driver in winter and used ocassionally the rest of the year to haul camping stuff/dogs.

Last edited:

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well again, I appreciate the feedback. Makes looking at the Tahoes much easier, and also choosing the right one from the start!

I'm kind of in between the '02 & '03. I have found plenty '02's in my price range. LT's w/3rd row and sunroof. I have found maybe 7, '03's, but most are cloth, and the LT had about 146K already.

I'm trying to spend in between $7-$8K. And it has to have leather, preferably sunroof and no captains in the second row. 3rd row doesn't matter too much, but is preferred. Mileage, between 80-120k. Willing to travel w/in 850 miles +/- (from CO). It will only be a daily driver in winter and used ocassionally the rest of the year to haul camping stuff/dogs.

If your looking at higher mileage Tahoes, I cannot stress enough to take it on a thorough test drive and have it checked out before you commit to anything. GMT 800's notorious for transmission issues as they get into higher mileage. The 4L60E is not the strongest transmission and towing regularly is likely to put them over the edge if not done properly.

Not to scare you by that you just need to make sure you're not buying something that would soon be adding $2k to your initial price. That's why I got rid of my Z71, it was starting to shift hard and slip at 112k and I knew what was coming next.

sothpaw62

Reaction score
2005 Yukon! I personally don't care for the Chevy Bow Tie at all and I highly recommend searching for one with the captains chairs in the rear seats. Prior to owning my '05, I had an '04 with the captains chairs. The difference is HUGE! The bench back seat is a very good quality leather and the fold down console in the middle is nice but I liked having the option of having the rear seats recline back. THe standard bench seat option also sits higher and my passengers have mentioned it.

If anyone knows how to lower those back seats a bit, please let me know!

Thanks,
Sothpaw62

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking at higher mileage Tahoes, I cannot stress enough to take it on a thorough test drive and have it checked out before you commit to anything. GMT 800's notorious for transmission issues as they get into higher mileage. The 4L60E is not the strongest transmission and towing regularly is likely to put them over the edge if not done properly.

Not to scare you by that you just need to make sure you're not buying something that would soon be adding $2k to your initial price. That's why I got rid of my Z71, it was starting to shift hard and slip at 112k and I knew what was coming next.

WOW! That blows my mind. After only 112k? :eek2:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to be more careful of what I choose.

Before I sold my truck, I test drove an '03 black Z71 w/125k. $8999 + $589 D&H fee (yeah right!). It was super clean, 1 owner, and drove really nice I thought. I didn't buy it because I didn't feel comfortable buying w/out selling mine first. Plus it had captain chairs in back. I had to fight for like an hour to get my keys back and leave. The truck's been sold now, but it drove really nice (to me).

This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but some of the deals I've been coming accross:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/925281128.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/913833045.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/921813716.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/925797014.html

All have high miles.. I'd be pretty disapointed and broke if I had to toss another $2K at my newly purchased Tahoe. I sold my QX4 w/149k and it drove like it had 60k. Only put a new a/c comp in 5 years of owning it. Still too small of a truck though.

Last edited:

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind we used that Tahoe for frequent trips between GA and FL and towing so we neglected maintenance more than I would on a truck that I drive around town. Conventional oil changes every 7k, didn't do a tranny flush until 100k, etc. That could all have shortened the life of it.

x2 on taking a second look at that 2002 Yukon. That looked like the best of the bunch.

I just did a quick search and this is all I came up with but it's only got 96k on it and I bet you could talk them down to $8k.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...ional&paId=136684099&recnum=0&leadExists=true

Keep us posted.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, I did talk to the owner of the 2002 Yukon. He still has it, but 140K? Hmm... maybe if he wanted $6800 (IMO).

I don't mind making the drive, for a good deal. I bought my QX4 in Orlando :eek: Don't think I'll go that far again lol, but within 850 miles or so, I will.

I'm kinda sold on the '03+ now. I really like the steering wheel controls and better leather.

Here's a cpl more I found:

Not a bad deal on this 03 Z71 (sold): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=230304717367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Good thing I have time.

ugachs24, so do you think your tranny slipping coulda been noticed by a newbie like me?