Better MPG for 09?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DecepticonZ71

Reaction score
Hello we are new here to the forum but anxious to get posting as we love our Tahoe and also want to learn from others about the path to great/proven mods.

The only thing we are unhappy with thus far is its fuel economy. We are getting 13-14 mpg in town and havent had a good road trip yet to confirm accurate highway mpg. I realize it will do better in that area. From my background in motorsports I can only assume the first step to help the fuel economy would be a cold air intake? Aftermarket exhaust? As I have EFI live tuning software for my Duramax Diesel pickup I assumed a custom tune would help. However after looking into it the tuners I spoke with could only garuntee 1 mpg improvement with a custom ECM tune. After the cost of a vin liscense needed for uploading an EFI tune and the cost for the tune itself it didnt seem to be worth the investment. Maybe long term? Some have suggested an Edge tuner? Any input from you guys is much apprecitated. I realize its an SUV and not a prius im just looking for as good an improvement as I can get. Thanks in advance!

Sales @ CAI Inc

Reaction score
Take a look at our CAI, I think it would offer just what you are looking for. My 2500HD gets 12 mpg, so trust me when I say I hear ya when it comes to wanting to improve your fuel economy! There are many factors that affect fuel economy, the biggest determining factor being your foot and the pedal. When we did some data logging on our Tahoe system we were seeing between 1.5 - 2.5 increase in mpg. Also, you will see some costs savings on filter maintenance due to the fact it is a lifetime use air filter that does not need replacing. Of course you will have some additional HP & TQ available to you as well. If you have any questions, feel free to email me, I would also encourage you to check out our website. Thanks and good luck!

DecepticonZ71

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bill. We will absolutely look into your product. Any members with this particular system able to chime in and give some feedback?

Sales @ CAI Inc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bill. We will absolutely look into your product. Any members with this particular system able to chime in and give some feedback?

The system was just released a few weeks ago for this vehicle, so it may be difficulty to find members who can report back their mpg experiences with it. If you contact Justin or Julie at Black Bear Performance they just did 3rd party independent testing on it and I am sure they would be willing to give you some of their opinions on it. Hope that helps!

DecepticonZ71

Reaction score
The system was just released a few weeks ago for this vehicle, so it may be difficulty to find members who can report back their mpg experiences with it. If you contact Justin or Julie at Black Bear Performance they just did 3rd party independent testing on it and I am sure they would be willing to give you some of their opinions on it. Hope that helps!

Understandable. Thanks again for the help! It looks like a quality product.
Can you shoot me a PM with a shipped price?

Sales @ CAI Inc

Reaction score
Thank you, and yes it is much higher quality than the typical CAI's people have been buying for years. Price is $396, shipping should be about $15 or so, the website will automatically quote shipping based off of your address. Thanks again and be sure to "Like" us on Facebook, we are always doing product updates and free giveaways on there!