bigger injectors and a upgraded maf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lazyd

Reaction score
i have had my 01 yukon for about a year now has a 6inch fabtech susp lift w/bilstein shocks, flowmaster cat back and a K&N CAI. was thinking about my next upgrades and have decided on upgrading my fuel delivery system ie: fuel pump(i think mines going out), bigger injectors and an upgraded MAF. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how big i should go? was thinking about 34lb injectors but i dont even know the stock size? i am also concerned that this guy didnt do the lift right. I am not really knowledgable about lifted trucks and want to fix the mistakes the guy did. what king of gearing would be optimal for driving this truck mostly on highway? the truck really pulls left and right on highway and shakes alot at around 45-50mph but i think is mostly from wheels on there(uneven wear).

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably need to replace most of the front end components (tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, unit bearing assemblies (hubs), gusset the idler arm bracket, etc). Check out www.cognitomotorsports.com for some steering upgrades. I'd also look at getting some new injectors from the 8.1L trucks as they're a small upgrade for the 5.3 although you won't need them until you do some heads and a cam. No reason to replace the maf, people are running 600+hp with stock mafs or switching to speed density tuning once they add some form of forced induction. Depending on what you want to do with the truck some 4.56 gears would be best suited for your application (I'm guessing you have 35" tires) and replace the rear limited slip with a good aftermarket one like a detroit trutrac or eaton limited slip. Take some pics of the lift esp the drop for the front differential and the frame pocket that they should have cut out, alot of people commonly fvck up that part of the install on the fabtech kits.

lazyd

Reaction score
thanks boost. yes i do have 35" tires, it is only 2 wheel drive which i think takes out the problem of front diff. i have gone up underneath my truck and looked for problems but cant visually see any problems. my main idea was to take the lift off and put a lower kit. but wife wants to keep it lifted so now i gotta find the cause for the hard jerking.

lazyd

Reaction score
here are some pics. as stated before 2wd
the shocks are suppose to be chrome but its been rainy
013.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

this is about as much offroading it will ever do!:nonod:
truck-beach.jpg

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgrading the injectors won't do much unless you know you're maxing out the stock injectors. Do you know what their current duty cycle is? If its higher than 85% you may notice a few extra HP up top but otherwise its a waste.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgrading the injectors won't do much unless you know you're maxing out the stock injectors. Do you know what their current duty cycle is? If its higher than 85% you may notice a few extra HP up top but otherwise its a waste.

+1 on this...bigger injectors aren't necessary until you start doing engine mods that require it (cam, F/I, nitrous, etc). Are you experiencing any problems that would suggest that the stock injectors have become inadequate? Do you have any big mods done?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the tie rod is fvcked up on the pass side, I'd look at replacing them with some high quality pieces like Moog or Napa Premiums.

lazyd

Reaction score
really?! how can you tell? would i feel it in the steering? maybe that is what i have been feeling?

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide you want an aftermarket MAF, shoot me a PM. I have a Granatelli unit that I'd be willing to sell you.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boot looks pretty worn and from what you've said could be one of the contributing factors for your wobble issues. Check these guys out for a burlier replacement if you wanna keep the truck
tie-rod-kit

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page27.html

I'm screwed because I'm not lifted so I have to build my own, these trucks have some tiny ass steering and it bothers the hell out of me because I'm fairly rough on vehicles. Would be a good idea to check the pitman and idler arms for play as well as the sector shaft coming off the steering box (attaches to the pitman arm).

lazyd

Reaction score
cool thanks guys i will be replacing i will be getting the tie rods and the pitman and idler arms very soon

lazyd

Reaction score
well starting to rethink lowering this again i see no need to keep it lifted. its just ahrd convincing the wife to let me spend money on lowering it

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell her the money you'll need to spend to fix the lift can go towards lowering it and she'll get a quieter ride, better ride and better mileage out of the deal. The ride looks sweet but IMHO I never saw the point of putting a lift on a 2x4. Oh, you can also tell her, depending on what you buy, that it will be cheaper to replace the tires too.