Both rear doors won't open from inside or outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregb1954

Reaction score
Crazy problem! Suddenly both rear doors cannot be open from either the outside or inside. The electric door unlock actuators work. First indication a problem was beginning is when closing the door it would not latch. Both went out at same time. I hope I don't have to take the door panels off as I can't get the doors open!! Trying to avoid the dealer as I know that will be a lot of money. Tahoe is a 2007 LT.

Thanks in advance!

Gregb1954

Reaction score
I had our local Chevy dealer, Penske, fix the problem as I am losing my desire to dig into such matters at this time in my life. Here's how they described the problem: "removed door panels and found both doors lock assemblies electrically working normal. Found rust in inside door release handles causing latches to be stuck in lock position and not fully seating release levers. R and R right and left rear door electric door latches and retested now working."

The replaced what is described as "LATCH" part numbers 15896625 and 6. I think there are cheaper solutions out there now that I know what the problem was, and apparently this is not uncommon. We live in Indy and we do get salts put down on the road. We had an air bag sensor fail due to corrosion too.

So good luck to anyone else having this problem and hope you get it done cheaper and before the doors get locked shut! =(