bug shield for 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ria4him

Reaction score
Looking for a bug shield for my 08 Tahoe. I notice some mount with tape and some require drilling. There are no existing holes under the hood like on my 2001. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Smashy

Reaction score
Re: bug shield

I recently put a Lund Interceptor on my '07 Hoe. There are 5 brackets that hold the guard out and away from the hood. You apply a small piece of clear film at each bracket location. The brackets rest over the film and there is a set screw you tighten on the backside of the bracket, so its under the hood when closed. I wanted stainless steel like on my '04 Sierra, but too many bends I guess and settled for Smoke coloured. The chrome ABS is just "too much" for me. No holes to drill, no permanent damage. The bug guard will be under tension when installed - much easier with 2 people. You can't actually see the guard from the driver's seat due to the slope of the hood.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 and I have 4 existing holes under the hood, I just installed a Bugflector II about a week back with supplied accessorires and the existing holes, it was an easy install and the Bugflector looks good!

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My installation was same as Nnaboy -- AVS Bug Reflector II and no drilling involved. I have '08.

Attachments

• AVS bug shield formed around grille 030108.jpg
    AVS bug shield formed around grille 030108.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 66

Smashy

Reaction score
Here's my Pics

Here is the finished install. If you want to see the brackets on the underside of the hood, let me know and I'll take some pics to post.

Attachments

• Bug Guard Front.jpg
    Bug Guard Front.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Bug Guard Side.jpg
    Bug Guard Side.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 34

ria4him

Reaction score
bug shield

Thanks for the responses and pics. I ordered an Interceptor II and should have it installed by the weekend. If you get a chance to post a pic with the brackets, that would be great.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so all in all what would you guys recommend for a secure, drilless installation?
i have a summit white hoe and would like a white bug deflector to match..

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Weather Tech deflector. It utilizes factory holes under frt edge of hood. Esy install.......15 minutes. Personally I feel more secure about it not coming off since it's fastened on with hardware and not an adhesive tape.

DSC00187.jpg

TNT Tahoe

Reaction score
I bought the one from the dealer which uses compression nuts in the holes under the hood. The two on the drivers side went in fine. The two on the passenger side did not.
One would not compress and the other started to but not to the point where it stays in place when running a bolt in it.
Has anyone had this problem? Do the other brands use compression nuts?

Thanks for the help.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the one from the dealer which uses compression nuts in the holes under the hood. The two on the drivers side went in fine. The two on the passenger side did not.
One would not compress and the other started to but not to the point where it stays in place when running a bolt in it.
Has anyone had this problem? Do the other brands use compression nuts?

Thanks for the help.

Did you install/ tighten the driver side first? Just thinking if you had loosely installed all of them first and then tightened them all it might have gone down easier.

EZYESS57

Reaction score
I also installed a factory painted bug deflector and had similiar problem installing the supplied rivets. Two went in fine and the other two gave me headaches. Seems like one started to compress crooked and the other wouldn't compress all the way and the tool got stuck in it. I spent probably an hour monkeying around with the last two before the finally compressed and locked in. Painted deflector looks great though.

RyanbabZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lund interceptor. I have one on my 2000 silverado which has been on since new. I like them both work well.

Attachments

• IM002941.jpg
    IM002941.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 9

TNT Tahoe

Reaction score
Black Dog - I did tighten the drivers side then moved to the passenger side.

The problem is the P.O.S. tool that they give you to compress the rivet nuts. I'm trying to find a nut rivet tool with the correct thread on it.

Did anyone have marks on their brackets? I have 2 with one dot and 2 with two dots which indicates inner and outer brackets. I'm wondering if the side with the dots goes on the hood side or bug guard side.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a white one for my 2007 from Autozone on-line a while back - it too is a Lund. Don't see many around - fits into the four pre-drilled holes and haven't had a problem since. Make sure you screw into the holes correctly - upside down and they don't expand into the holes properly. Have heard of quite a few people who have done this wrong and they end up falling off. Also can't see this one from the inside of the truck.
bugshield.jpg

Smashy

Reaction score
Its been a while, but I've had a request to post some pics of the brackets for the Lund bug guard installation I talked about earlier; here they are. You place a small piece of film over the paint to protect from scratching, then the bracket (already bolted to the bug guard) slides over the edge of the hood and is secured from underneath the hood with a set screw. Because of the curve of the hood, the bug guard ends up under tension and everything seems to hold together nicely. With the hood closed, its a real clean installation.

Attachments

• Brackets.jpg
    Brackets.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Brackets2.jpg
    Brackets2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 3

TNT Tahoe

Reaction score
I got the bug shield on! I had to switch one of the nut rivets with a standard one vs a metric one. Thanks for all the help.