Corrosion on aluminum wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geodavky

Reaction score
I’ve searched but cannot find anything on this forum about how to fix or repair the corrosion on aluminum wheels. What began as barely noticeable corrosion around the valve stem outlet has spread and it’s on all wheels. A bid to have them redone was $900.00. The wheels are perfect with no road rash. It pains me to think about spending this much money on something that shouldn’t have happened (along with the damn cracked dash) on my otherwise 49,000 mile 2009 Tahoe.

GoldmistXL

Reaction score
It is likely the clear coat on your wheels has been compromised and corrosion is occurring becasue its no longer protected by the clear coat. It is not hard to refinish wheels and there are lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Here is one from Sweet Project Cars, one of the best automotive DIY channels on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vszhfF4TV5M

RobbysDad

Reaction score
Corrosion On Wheels

I have an 2005 and some brilliant person was not watching and drove right into my rim. Good thing is no body damage, but rim took an ugly hit. Buddy owns a body shop and took it by him and their is a place he uses that manufacturers all these rims for the insurance companies due to it saves them a lot of money.

I got the new rim and it was perfect and washing the truck the next week freaked out looking at it due to it looked so weird. What it has on it is like a big sheet of plastic and I saw water bubbles under it, so obviously the place did not get that on good enough. No biggie got another and it is fine to this day.

With the corrosion I know these places can take all that off and they even will repair the rims straightening them or if they have to do a little welding and add on. Then machine it back to perfect and put that plastic on.

Not sure if you would go that far, but you can find a place like that and work it out with them and they usually swap them with your old due to they know they can do anything to them. I am sure a hefty down payment so you bring the old ones back to them so they are ready for the next person or body shop.

I have the 2005 and it was always in a garage and still is and for its age is still pretty flawless due to taking care of it. Family has an 2002 Tahoe and a 2007 Suburban and they did some sitting out and they both have that corrosion that started by the valve stem and spread the worst on the 2002.

It is your call to take them in to get the above done and I know years back I paid him 50.00 to get it done, but that was his cost and no clue what it would be today to get all 4. They will look brand new when you get them back and I would make sure you get a warranty with that plastic on them or any seal leaks losing air.