deep sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the Pacific coast yesterday to see how much damage they had from the big storm and saw some sand piled up and had to drive through it. I put it in auto and it just went up it with no problem. With 32 lbs air in the tires i was ready for it to start hopping but it never did. Here are a couple of pictures. Also it got 18.6 avg for the trip. Love that truck.:Chevy:

Attachments

• smokey in the sand0001.JPG
    smokey in the sand0001.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 12
  • smokey in the sand0003.JPG
    smokey in the sand0003.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 12

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, :thumbsup: :cool: Normally I drop the air presure to about 15 psi when I encounter sand like that. I too was very impressed with my tahoe ability to handle sand. Pretty good for a 7,000lb truck.

One question, why did you use auto instead of 4hi?

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7000 lbs:ack: My 07 is only 5850 with a full tank. You need to put that one on a diet.:smilielol:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use auto also, the speed limit on the beaches here is 35-40, in true 4wd, i dont like to go over 25, so i keep it in auto.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours are 25. I never looked at the manual but you should be able to any speed in 4x4 hi range that you go in 2 wd. I always did with the old type four wheel drive with hubs.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i used auto instead of 4 hi because it seemed to go very easy in auto and i had to gas it a little more in 4x4 hi. Something to do with the traction control???? I did not play with it much so i don't really know.:confused:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i turn traction control off when i go on the beach, bogs me down too much. but i use auto 4wd all the time, even when its rainy, and i never loose turning radious or anything like that, i just dont like to go super fast with it. i read someware on here that 4wd is best at below 30.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey what ever works. I have shifted into 4x4 high at 60 mph and it worked fine. The auto mode should only engage the front end when you start to loose traction. Now i will have to read up on the Tahoe transfer case and drive system. Thanks for all of your info.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7000 lbs:ack: My 07 is only 5850 with a full tank. You need to put that one on a diet.:smilielol:

Yep you're right 5400 (empty) for a 4wd, fully loaded 7300lbs. Maybe I should be the one going on a diet! :smilielol:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I just put in 4hi and leave it (when offroading). I don't trust the auto and I feel the constant engaging and disengaging of the tranfer case may lead to premature wear and tear. I'm not a mechanic just my $0.02.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i re-read the manual and it says you can shift in and out of 2wd and auto and 4wd high at any speed. That's the way it has always been. It also said you have to put the transmission in neutral while you are moving 1-3 mph and then you can shift into 4 wd low, but you have to wait until the light stops blinking before you shift back into drive. Low range is only good for slow driving up or down hills ( Like sand hills) up to 45 mph. max. This is a good gear for just putting around in deep sand or snow. Love the new technology isn't it great. Also it said the front end is engaged in auto but most of the power is going to the rear wheels until a wheel starts to slip and then power is directed to the front end. Makes sense. Also you get lower fuel economy in auto than you do in 2 wd. I know i don't care about less mpg when the roads could have ice or snow or it is very wet, its worth the peace of mind to leave it in auto then and have no worries mate.:Chevy: :ack:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, so i can use true 4wd when we get black ice in january. i have been on black ice in west va, through mountians but always use auto, now im not afraid to use true 4wd, but do we loose the turning radious i wonder?

maybe the 4wd speed limit was for one with a lever not a cool push button.

EDIT- did you remove the front air dam, i did once and it got hotter than usual, then i read the manual and it said that removing it for long periods of time can mess up the air flow of the engine, so i keep it on now, as i go for a 7 day period to the 4wd beach and rent a house.

ever been surfing in 60 degree water?? when its 25 out it feels great

Last edited:

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin Thunder. As long as you are on loose traction like snow , ice or gravel or sand you won't have any binding. I would not try to turn a sharp corner in 4 high or 4 low on wet pavement because you will get a shudder from the front end. The inside wheel goes slower than the out side and in 4x4 unless you have some kind of automatic system that has a built in slip you can do some damage. But if you use it on slick surface only you will be fine. Good driving and be safe in the ice. As a retired body man i say this now because i don't have to make a living off your bad driving. grin

Last edited:

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny i did notice some sand on the front air dam, hey its ABS and will bend a lot before it does any damage.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin Thunder. As long as you are on loose traction like snow , ice or gravel or sand you won't have any binding. I would not try to turn a sharp corner in 4 high or 4 low on wet pavement because you will get a shudder from the front end. The inside wheel goes slower than the out side and in 4x4 unless you have some kind of automatic system that has a built in slip you can do some damage. But if you use it on slick surface only you will be fine. Good driving and be safe in the ice. As a retired body man i say this now because i don't have to make a living off your bad driving. grin

yup, 4wd will not help you stop, i always go about 20 mph slower than the speed limit if its icy or snowy, when i was 16 i lived in chicago (til 17) and that gets major snow, so i had my first driving experence in snow, now we dont get much SNOW here, but we get rain when its 35 then at night it gets to 15-20 and we get ice. and i usally go in 4wd low on ice so i dont get going to fast and spin out.