Does anyone know anything about traffic accidents (i.e. insurance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son and I got rearended a little while ago. We are ok, but that pretty little powdercoated bumper will need replacement. Believe it or not, but a cop caused the accident. We were cruising down 71 at about 60mph and the cop was about 3 cars in front of me. He slammed on his brakes and pull a u-turn causing everyone behind him to lock'em up. The guy in the Excursion behind me wasnt lucky enough to stop in time.

Here is my question:
IF there were a legal limit to how dark your tail lights can be, mine would be about 4x darker than that limit.
The insurance adjuster is coming on monday to look at my truck. Is there any way the adjuster could deny the claim bc of my tail lights?
Neither the cop or the guy that hit me said anything about them.

The cop did apologize for causing the accident. he said, "it is PARTIALLY my fault and i do apologize for that."

Yes, I know my truck is filthy...
photo.jpg

Last edited:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might try and BS you over those Tinted tails so you may want to keep that in mind, thats why I changed my OEM blacked out tails to Black LED tails so nobody tries to BS me an an accident whcih is what a cop once told me could happen.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I was thinking of picking some LEDs up, but they are pretty low on a very long list of parts.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how strickt the insurance companies in US are, but here it would cause problems if noticed. If you can you should put on "legal" taillights just for the insurance adjuster.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha you may wanna move those lights up on the list, after all they won't run you too much!

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to your local law enforcement in your city not in your car and ask if there is a law stating about blacked housings. I am almost positive that as long as you can see the light you are ok.

but each city/state is different. that would be my recommendation, I have had mine done before and got rear ended and had no problem with the insurance company with my tails and they were 5% tinted (from a tint shop, just above limo tint)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I've been through this with APD, RRPD, DPS, etc, etc. You're going to have to throw some stockers on there or the insurance adjuster will more than likely deny your claim. BTW, who was it? APD, Sunset Valley, Bee Caves? At least it wasn't bad and you guys are alright. That sucks; your truck looked bad@ss when you were pulling up to the shop the other day. Those bumpers turned out nice.

Last edited:

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My limited understanding is that whenever there is a rear end the person who did the rear ending is the one who is at fault because they were following too close to stop in time, regardless of what happened or the conditions. IF that holds, the person who rear ended you should have to cover it through their insurance.

Good luck.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its was a Travis County Sheriff. Oh well, It will just sit in the garage dirty and dented until it goes to the shop.
Anyone have some stock tail lights i can borrow for a few days?

I feel for the guy that hit me. He was pissed at the cop. When the cop pulled up after the accident the guy told him, "Way to go jackass!" It was pretty funny.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My limited understanding is that whenever there is a rear end the person who did the rear ending is the one who is at fault because they were following too close to stop in time, regardless of what happened or the conditions. IF that holds, the person who rear ended you should have to cover it through their insurance.

Good luck.

In Norway, if the lights as in such a state so that the "rear-ender" couldn't see that the "rear-ended" was braking the latter takes the blame. "Without" brake lights it does take a while before you see that the car in front of you is actually braking.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its was a Travis County Sheriff. Oh well, It will just sit in the garage dirty and dented until it goes to the shop.
Anyone have some stock tail lights i can borrow for a few days?

I feel for the guy that hit me. He was pissed at the cop. When the cop pulled up after the accident the guy told him, "Way to go jackass!" It was pretty funny.

Maybe the cop can take some of the blame? You can't drive like an idiot just because you're a sheriff. If he caused the incident he sould "pay" for it. Be sure to tell the insurance-guy.

drumrpunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill chime in here. I got rear ended really bad and it totaled my vehicle and the chick who hit me too. The insurance adjuster made sure that not only my brakes lights were in working order, but that they were the "DOT approved. Now obviously I had one brake light that was completely smashed to pieces but my 3rd brake light was untouched. From what I got talking to him is that if your brake lights are not properly working the case can be flipped around. However, when they take the other drivers statement if they mention that they "Saw" your brake lights and couldn't stop quick enough....that proves he could legitimately see your lights and would override the non DOT approved lens theory.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's hope everything turns out OK. Crappy if you have to pay for somebody else's mistake.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay shipping and I'll send you my stockers. Get some leds asap, my buddy said mine were extremely bright even with the dark ass tint. Here are just the running lights, brake lights and turn signals are extremely visible
IMG_0031.jpg

What did you do for bumpers anyway? I'm thinking about getting a rollpan for this bish. I'd just drop the loot for some leds right now if I were you, cheap on ebay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6294wt_1613

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost, I will spring for shipping. I can stall the adjuster for a few days. I do appreciate it.

send me your paypal email address and i will pipe it over

jon at digista dot com

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro I suggest you go on to Ebay ASAP and order some LED tails for your car that are a smoked/black color so you can try and play it off like you never had OEM smoked lights. Don't be surprised if the other guys Insurance company call your Insurance and says that the other guy that hit you told them you have dark lights. If you buy and put the LED's on now then you can act like that it what the guy was talking about. Don't waste money on shipping back and forth Boost's lights when you can just get some new ones!
Here's a linky to some I found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YUKO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed your in Texas too so Insurance and Police will def. try to bully you over those lights! I'd know, they tried it on me.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to flame, but isnt lying to the insurance and police kinda a bad thing??? IDK, what if the baby in my car died because I could not see your brake lights.

Isnt this on the same lines is not having working ones. So you go get them fixed before insurance comes and looks at the car and say they were working at the scene of the accident, Or that they stopped working after I rear ended you.

Do what you want, but dont be surprised to see a lawsuit. JMO

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not lying to anyone. Nobody said anything about my tail lights at the scene. The guy obviously saw them. Besides, My 3rd light is bright as hell. I just want to cover my bases.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arent tinted headlights and brake lights illeagle for a reason though. But I dont think it will be an issue, all you will get out of it IMO is improper equipment. Its still his fault for rear ending you, he should not have followed so closly and factored in your lights and factored in the conditions.