Edge Evolution or Volant Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I finally installed the edge on my Kon and took for a trip. I had her on setup 2 fuel economy because it was full with regular gas. After 330 miles I got an avarage of 19.5 MPG, this thing is awsome!!! I have to clarify that the trip was a mix trip through city traffic, highway and hills. I used to average 17.5 MPG on that same trip without going above 70 MPH and the cruise control on. I probably could have done better but I had a hard time keeping my foot off the gas, even in the fuel economy mode you can feel the difference in power, throttle response and firmer shifting. I'm really happy with this device, it is worth every penny. I will fill up with premium gas and let you know how it does with the extreme power set up.

That's good. I miss the days when my tahoe averaged 19 mpg.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good. I miss the days when my tahoe averaged 19 mpg.

:smilielol: Hey this is what happen when you go Big!!! Big Truck+Big tires=Eating Cup and Noodles+Empty wallet.:ack: Just jocking bro! I'l trade those couple of extra miles to have 900 like yours:thumbsup: Just curious, what is your average MPG on your hoe with those tires?

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all Edge Evolution experts! So, just what's all involved w/ installing the Edge? I'm seriously considering this purchase, but wondering how much tinkering I have to do. Is it "plug & play"? Do I have to take the dash apart? Any details you can provide is truly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all Edge Evolution experts! So, just what's all involved w/ installing the Edge? I'm seriously considering this purchase, but wondering how much tinkering I have to do. Is it "plug & play"? Do I have to take the dash apart? Any details you can provide is truly appreciated! :thumbsup:

It's completely plug and play. No tinkering required. Unless you want the unit installed on the dash, you don't need to do much. I keep mine in my center console with the cable because my wife wouldn't appreciate it if it was mounted on the dash... If you do mount it on the dash (you'll need the "Dash B" pod), you'll want to paint the pod to match the dash, and that's the hardest part. Installing it is done with double-sided mounting tape, so it's semi-permanent. Then you route the cable as desired, and that's it.

To use the Evolution, just connect the USB cable to your computer (after you've installed the Lightning software and USB drivers) and then to the Evolution. It'll update the Evolution with the latest firmware and calibration files, then you'll go out to your vehicle and you just connect it with the included cable to the OBDII port under the dash, above the brake pedal. That connection takes literally 2 seconds. Let it download all the PCM codes, and then you can start programming, unless your PCM codes aren't included in the calibration files. [If they're not, then the Evolution will copy the codes, and you'll go back to your computer, reconnect it to the USB, and it'll give you the option to send the codes to Edge. Do that, and in a few days (i.e. on Wednesdays), they release new calibrations/tunes with all the codes included.]

Its really simple, and there's nothing difficult about the install whatsoever.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired couldn't have answered that any better!! If you have a firewall disable it when installing the software to your computer, this will make the installation a lot smoother. Thanks Master Getwired, The Force really Sstrong in You:smilielol: :budo:

Last edited:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you just connect it with the included cable to the OBDII port under the dash, above the brake pedal.

Just as I thought. Figured it would just plug into the port under the steering wheel. So, each time you "mount the Denali", you plug it in and run the chord to your center console? Is it just like connecting a radar? Is the chord long enough to extend to the center console... I know, I know...so many questions, this guy!!! :lol: How else do we get educated, though, right?!! ;)

Thanks!

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired couldn't have answered that any better!! If you a firewall disable it when installing the software to your computer, this will make the installation a lot smoother. Thanks Master Getwired, The Force really Sstrong in You:smilielol: :budo:

I asked, and he delivered.

Getwired, you really need to consider a career change and go into business w/ your bro-in-law!!! :lol: :thumbsup:

Oh, wait, maybe a part-time gig?!! ;)

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as I thought. Figured it would just plug into the port under the steering wheel. So, each time you "mount the Denali", you plug it in and run the chord to your center console? Is it just like connecting a radar? Is the chord long enough to extend to the center console... I know, I know...so many questions, this guy!!! :lol: How else do we get educated, though, right?!! ;)

Thanks!

You don't have to have the programmer hooked to the vehicle if you don't have mount in the pod. You only need to run the setting you want and when it's done you can unplug everything. I think that what Getwired does is just run the stting he wants to use and then he just stored everything in the center console. Am i right?:rolleyes:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to have the programmer hooked to the vehicle if you don't have mount in the pod. You only need to run the setting you want and when it's done you can unplug everything. I think that what Getwired does is just run the stting he wants to use and then he just stored everything in the center console. Am i right?:rolleyes:

AHHHH!!! Got it! That makes much sense... Getting more and more educated as I go...:D

I'm liking this Edge toy more and more every post! :lol: You guys are going to have me ordering this thing before the night is out!!! :ack: :smilielol:

Maybe you should go into sales, Yukonator!!! :thumbsup: :lol:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I wish I could get commission from Edge, then you will see what I can do!!:smilielol:

That is not all!, remember that this little thing can display up to four parameters at a time of your vehicle functions. So beside a programmer you also get a monitoring system. I really enjoy this thing, beside the engine temp gauge, oil presure gauge, fuel and battery gauge that are already in the vehicle instrument panel, you can monitor engine oil temp, engine load, air intake temp and a lot other features. Really like that engine load function very handy if you whant to achieve fuel econoy in my opinion.

Ok! i give up I guess your right I should have gone into sales:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :crazy:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol: Hey this is what happen when you go Big!!! Big Truck+Big tires=Eating Cup and Noodles+Empty wallet.:ack: Just jocking bro! I'l trade those couple of extra miles to have 900 like yours:thumbsup: Just curious, what is your average MPG on your hoe with those tires?

pretty much 13 all around. besde I like cup o noodles :gy:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edge Evolution is cool, it's true.

Correct. I just keep it with me in the console in case I wanna change the tune. I use the programmer to set the tune I want, then unplug it, and roll with it until I want to change it again. The tune doesn't "go away" when you turn the vehicle off. It writes the tune to flash/NVRAM on the PCM (power control module), which persists until you change it, or until your dealer overwrites it. I run the Max Performance tune. I get crazy power and better fuel economy, so I really dig that...

The tuner has the option to revert to the stock tune, for when you take it into the dealer for any work. You do not necessarily know if the dealer will re-flash your PCM with the latest "code" / tune from GM for some reason or to alleviate any problems they've discovered. This is another reason I didn't install the pod, as I don't need my service guys giving me a hard time about potential warranty issues if they can prove I damaged something due to the tuner (which I'm well aware of)... [Insert Magnusson-Moss act here.]

The ability to monitor up to 4 functions at once is pretty cool, but not really too important to me.

Get one! [I ought to get a commission!]

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I just keep it with me in the console in case I wanna change the tune. I use the programmer to set the tune I want, then unplug it, and roll with it until I want to change it again. The tune doesn't "go away" when you turn the vehicle off. It writes the tune to flash/NVRAM on the PCM (power control module), which persists until you change it, or until your dealer overwrites it. I run the Max Performance tune. I get crazy power and better fuel economy, so I really dig that...

The tuner has the option to revert to the stock tune, for when you take it into the dealer for any work. You do not necessarily know if the dealer will re-flash your PCM with the latest "code" / tune from GM for some reason or to alleviate any problems they've discovered. This is another reason I didn't install the pod, as I don't need my service guys giving me a hard time about potential warranty issues if they can prove I damaged something due to the tuner (which I'm well aware of)... [Insert Magnusson-Moss act here.]

The ability to monitor up to 4 functions at once is pretty cool, but not really too important to me.

Get one! [I ought to get a commission!]

Hey I tought that I was the one trying to get commision here!! Sounds Like I have a rival!! Duel time:duel: :smilielol:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit!!! I really wanted to put a Viper into my wife's new ride (need that remote start for the cold winter! :fire: )... But you two got me just about sold on this thing. :hook2:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit!!! I really wanted to put a Viper into my wife's new ride (need that remote start for the cold winter! :fire: )... But you two got me just about sold on this thing. :hook2:

Hey! here is what to do. Buy the Edge, it's worth every penny and it will give more power and more MPG both in the same package. As for the remote start all you have to do is tell your wife to run out the door and start the truck so that it is nice and warm when you get inside:D :smilielol: and that my firend is call a Mexican remote star system!!!:smilielol: No offense intended to my Mexican friends:thumbsup:

Think about it the Edge will save you gas and the remote start will waste your gas!

ki4izq

Reaction score
edge evolution

I just bought one yesterday.... i selected option 2 and took the "economy" tune... does anyone know what they change for this.... i dont want to loose any power.... i dont know if it is my imagination but i think the truck goes into "v4" mode more and stays longer in "v4" mode now.....