Engine Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDogg

Reaction score
How can I tell if I have the 5.7L 350 or the V8 400 4BBL.

I entered my VIN on a web site. The results came back saying I had the V8 400 4 BBL. But I thought I had the 350 this whole time...

I do know that there is a black thing on top that says "Vortec"

I need to get a high output alternator and I need to know my engine size. Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Sidescrollin

Reaction score
um...your question is kinda confusing....the year models forums you are in had 2 engines.
The 6.5l Diesel and the 5.7l vortec
um...so are you putting regular gas or diesel in the car??? that should answer your question. Also the diesels were only put in the 2 doors i tihnk.
hope that answers the question for you. If the plastic cover you are referring to says vortec then you probably have the vortec 5700 5.7l 350

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year model truck? - as far as i know, all they offered in the yukon/tahoe line was a 5.7l than when you got up to the 2500 - 3500 you may have had an option for a 454 - or diesel - but, a 400? that sounds a bit off - also in your VIN - i think its like the 8th number/leter down - do you have an R, or a J? or an F... ( i doubt the F thats diesel..)

RebelDogg

Reaction score
um...your question is kinda confusing....the year models forums you are in had 2 engines.
The 6.5l Diesel and the 5.7l vortec
um...so are you putting regular gas or diesel in the car??? that should answer your question. Also the diesels were only put in the 2 doors i tihnk.
hope that answers the question for you. If the plastic cover you are referring to says vortec then you probably have the vortec 5700 5.7l 350

It's a gas truck. I thought it was the 5.7L 350, but I was getting all of these options on web sites when I was looking at alternators... I think that's right though. I just wanted to be sure before I ordered the wrong part.

Thanks.

What year model truck? - as far as i know, all they offered in the yukon/tahoe line was a 5.7l than when you got up to the 2500 - 3500 you may have had an option for a 454 - or diesel - but, a 400? that sounds a bit off - also in your VIN - i think its like the 8th number/leter down - do you have an R, or a J? or an F... ( i doubt the F thats diesel..)

1999 Chevy Tahoe. The eighth character in my VIN is an R.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could get the diesel in the 2-door tahoes. if it says vortec its a 350.

unless that is someone did an engine swap.

Sidescrollin

Reaction score
It's a gas truck. I thought it was the 5.7L 350, but I was getting all of these options on web sites when I was looking at alternators... I think that's right though. I just wanted to be sure before I ordered the wrong part.

Thanks.

1999 Chevy Tahoe. The eighth character in my VIN is an R.

ahh thats common. You almost definitely have the 350 so make sure you get the right setup but if it looks odd just try a different site or something. And hey if somehow it is wrong then just return it and get a differnt one:D

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vin R - you have a 350 - 5.7 - when you go to a parts house to order your alt - they should ask you year model of truck, type of truck etc - than when they get to the part about the motor - Look at the screen you should notice that it says something like this:
8 Cylinders R 5.7L SFI (found in 99% of 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD)
8 Cylinders S 6.5L Turbo Diesel (found in 01% of 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD)

There in those two Engine choices - (Diesel, and Gas) - the R represents the VIN number for the Gas - and the S represents the Vin number for Diesel

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless someone put a 400 cid block in that truck before you owned it, then there is no way you would have that engine. A 6.6L 400 is an odd block (and old) they only made them for a short amount of time. It is the same engine block as a 350, just larger pistons/bore, longer stroke, internally balanced, and it has steam holes.

Everyone pretty much seems to know that you have a L31 5.7L 350 Vortec engine.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I entered my VIN on a web site. The results came back saying I had the V8 400 4 BBL. But I thought I had the 350 this whole time...

Everyone pretty much seems to know that you have a L31 5.7L 350 Vortec engine.

- He said he entered his Vin on a website - Meaning that the Factory would have put that motor in his truck... Which, we all highly doubt - seeing as how that option was never around, just the 5.7l, and the Diesel.. and the 454

-Btw RebelDogg - what website did you enter your VIN on?

RebelDogg

Reaction score
- He said he entered his Vin on a website - Meaning that the Factory would have put that motor in his truck... Which, we all highly doubt - seeing as how that option was never around, just the 5.7l, and the Diesel.. and the 454

-Btw RebelDogg - what website did you enter your VIN on?

Hmmm... I can't even remember now. I went to a bunch of different sites... if I can find it in my history later, I'll post again.