Factory sub missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralbers

Reaction score
I just bought an '06 Tahoe and have diccovered that it has no sub woofer. It has the Bose factory system with the rear entertainment and dvd. I'd definitely like to add a subwoofer but I want to keep the "factory" look and I have some questions maybe somebody can help with: Would this sub be in the back because of the rear entertainment or in the center console? Can I just go to the dealer and buy the sub that would have come in the truck and is the wiring already in place? Does anybody make an after market that will fit where the factory install would have been?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 03 and up (not positive) moved the subwoofer into the console. But the fake looking speaker grill is still on the driver side rear...lol In my 04 anyway. If you took the jack out there is plenty of space for a subwoofer.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 03 and up (not positive) moved the subwoofer into the console. But the fake looking speaker grill is still on the driver side rear...lol In my 04 anyway. If you took the jack out there is plenty of space for a subwoofer.

Yeah My 03 Yukon, the subs in the center console. The rear is empty.

ralbers

Reaction score
I don't really see anything in the center console, is there a way to tell if it's really there? I'm not sure it sounds like it's there either.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
00-02 sub is in the rear. 03-up is underneath the forward portion of the center console.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out that it is in the center. Some people find the wires by pulling out the cup holders and seeing the wires. I found no such thing so I stuck my hand behind the center console and felt the subwoofer. Its not that big and its in some sort of casing. I didnt feel just some speaker. So good luck sticking your hand back there but its like off "Tommy Boy" - you can take a good look a t-bone by sticking your head up a cows -butt- but wouldnt you like to take the butchers word for it.

ralbers

Reaction score
Okay, I see it now, thanks to all. Does anybody know if there is a way to turn it up some?

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I see it now, thanks to all. Does anybody know if there is a way to turn it up some?

You would have to get a bigger amp and a hidden box for under the console. The problem is you have to get the beefed up Bose amp from GMC to power the bigger sub cause its a control center for your chimes and some other functions....apparantly its ridiculously expensive. There may be something aftermarket out there that would substitute but I'm not aware of anything.

Depending on your year, the hidden sub box would look something like this:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1562

12373.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that '03 and up the sub is under the center console but is there the same void under the center console for a sub in the '00-'02's? Anybody know already? Also, if so, is there wiring for a sub already under the center console for a sub?

JBKON

Reaction score
I have a '06 Yukon XL SLT with Std Bose system, just installed new HU, then had amp bypassed after install. My installer says there is NOT a sub under the console. Any ideas why not?

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is somewhere in the factory bose system in the console to where you can turn the sub amp up slightly im not positive where it is but i know its hidden somewhere inside the console with all the components of the bose system if you unscrew some of the amps and look around them. I know you could do it on the 05 bose systems in the fullsize trucks and suv's.