Flip Down monitor GOING BIGGER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rodrign

Reaction score
Does anyone one know if it is possible to go with a bigger flip-down (20" FlipDown)monitor and trash the small 8" flip down? Will the rear A/C vents above be in the way? Let me know if anyone has gone bigger..

mkim1120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone one know if it is possible to go with a bigger flip-down (20" FlipDown)monitor and trash the small 8" flip down? Will the rear A/C vents above be in the way? Let me know if anyone has gone bigger..

i went with a 15''
but it was TOOOOO big.
daytime viewing was fine, but in the evening it was WAY too bright even tho i would set the setting to a lowest level available.
you do get alot of looks with a monitor that big tho..
kids eyes>cool factor
also aother member on here said he had 17'' and after a while the headliner began to sag
i could see that happening b/c everytime i hit a bump the screen with jump alot due to the weight

DSC05552.jpg

rodrign

Reaction score
Nice, did you install yourself? I wonder why his liner sagged? You would think the monitor was braced or screwed into the roof frame to prevent sag?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The proper way to install overhhead monitors is to remove the headliner and attach a brace to the existing braces. Then re-install the headliner and secure the OH to the new brace. Just about every OH monitor I install this way. Securing it to the headliner alone will cause the headliner to sag and can be VERY dangerous in a collision, especially with larger monitors. I see a lot of inexperienced or just plain lazy installers who will mount the OH to the headliner alone. Some vehicles will have a cross brace right where the monitor will go and you won't need to remove the headliner.
The largest yet I've installed in a nbs Tahoe (Yukon actually) was a 15" with no problems.

Zigger21

Reaction score
Just Puchased a 17"

The proper way to install overhhead monitors is to remove the headliner and attach a brace to the existing braces. Then re-install the headliner and secure the OH to the new brace. Just about every OH monitor I install this way. Securing it to the headliner alone will cause the headliner to sag and can be VERY dangerous in a collision, especially with larger monitors. I see a lot of inexperienced or just plain lazy installers who will mount the OH to the headliner alone. Some vehicles will have a cross brace right where the monitor will go and you won't need to remove the headliner.
The largest yet I've installed in a nbs Tahoe (Yukon actually) was a 15" with no problems.

Hello Im new to the forum and I just installed a Alpine IVA-D310 in to my 2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali. I just purchased an Emerson 17" flip down to install into there. The Monitor retalis for $1200 and I got it for a great deal at $280. My denali has a moon roof and I am going to need any assistance on installing this. What do I need to do to accomplish this so I wont have any sag and is this possible with the Moon roof liner sheild right where I want to install. I know there has been people who have done this successfully and Im am needing your proffesional assistance. I will grealy appriciate any assistance. take Care Chevy/GMC owners.