Flipdown dvd player that was installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishandfly

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just came home with an 04 yukon denali that is flat out beautiful. Makes me wonder why I've kept my jeep grand cherokee for so long. The previous owner had a portable dvd player installed where the dome light used to be. It appears to be a semi professional installation considering the wiring route and connection to the power wire at the passenger side door jam panel.

I'm not sure if the dvd player even functions, since the wiring was apparently cut and unplugged, but here are my questions.

The player says it needs 9.5v dc, yet the installer wired it to a 12 volt line (voltmeter verified). By my limited common sense, this won't work anyway to power the unit.

The player is a portable laptop type unit that looks fine in the ceiling, but is not a designated ceiling mount system. Is that ok and common to install portables in the roof?

If this thing is broken, should I replace it with another portable unit? Have you guys done it with success? The price difference on amazon is apparent and I really don't want to spend much considering it is for the entertainment of my 20 month old.

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try to find a stock flip down if you want to replace it.

fishandfly

Reaction score
Pics to come once I get her waxed. :)

After searching ebay for a oem dvd player, I've found everyone of them says that they don't work with a sunroof.

Has anyone had success with mounting the portables like the previous installer on this one?

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics to come once I get her waxed. :)

After searching ebay for a oem dvd player, I've found everyone of them says that they don't work with a sunroof.

Has anyone had success with mounting the portables like the previous installer on this one?

What?! My 05 has the OEM flip-down DVD player AND sunroof...

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score