Flowmaster Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I just received a price quote from a Performance Exhaust Shop that builds flowmaster exhaust systems. The price was $395 for a Catback Dual Side Exit Exhaust System (I'm not sure what series it will be), that includes parts & labor, I just have to purchase tips. Is this a reasonable price (sounded great to me)?? The owner told me the system will increase my HP by 25-30HP's. Does an exhaust system increase HP that much?? He also told me that they use 2.25in pipes. Does that seem kind of thin, shouldn't they be bigger (3in maybe)?? If anybody out there has a Flowmaster Exhaust System, or ANY Exhaust System for that matter, that can provide me with some insight please respond. Thanks Supertruck99!

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live where there's salt then make sure your getting stainless steel pipes + mufflers. I think full catbacks are more like 15 hp.

600RR7

Reaction score
your not going to get 20 to 30 horse out of it, maybe 5. Price sounds normal. 2.25 is fine if there are two of them. Factory is a 3" pipe so dual 2.25 is a huge improvement. and yes i do have a similar setup. Oh and the price he quoted will not be for stainless steel piping and mufflers.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
So 2.25 is normal for dual piping? I thought 3" was the normal size?? What's the price for stainless steel piping & mufflers?? Have you had any problems with the exhaust? How long have you had it?

the-hoe

Reaction score
That price sounds fine, but its definitely not for stainless muffler and pipes, maybe just the muffler. I do not have stainless pipes or mufflers on my tahoe, and i drive in snowy/salty weather all the time, and have no problems with my exhaust rusting. I would recommend using band clamps, they make it alot easier when its time to take it off.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I'll ask if both come in stainless steel or just the muffler tomorrow. How big are your pipes?

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I'm just trying to make sure this guy isn't trying to get over on me. Everything sounds good so far, except the size of the pipes & the fact that I don't have an option on the exhaust series.

the-hoe

Reaction score
Mine is 3 inch from the headers back, no cats. But i have a Y pipe then it goes into a single exhaust, i dont like duals. but 2 1/2 inch duals will be fine, if you think it looks small just get 2 tips that make it 3 inch out.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
Is the reason for the smaller pipes (2.25") on the dual exhaust because each pipe is handling 4 cylinders, compared to my 3" stock piping that handles all 8 cylinders??? I'm trying to make sense of the smaller pipes. Any input, ANYBODY???!!!

michiganmatthew

Reaction score
had Flowmaster installed this Fall

Hey, saw your post and thought I'd share my experience with you. I have a 2001 Tahoe, love it. This fall, I researched Flowmaster exhausts as I wanted a lil more noise out of it. I went with a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. Autozone ordered it for me, overnight for $98. I took it to my local muffler shop, and they charged me $60 to put it on, so $300+ sounds expensive to me. They might be quoting you for new pipes. Autozone recommended I keep my stainless pipe that I had, (cheaper option). This is a personal preference for you, I didn't care about appearance, just wanted a beefier sound with more horsepower. The muffler shop agreed with this decision and said I would be wasting my money to put new pipe(s) on. They also said, Flowmasters don't hold up very well in salty conditions. He said it will last 2-4 years only. SO, when they cut my factory exhaust off, they told me to save it, just in case I didn't want another Flowmaster (or wanted a cheaper fix that buying a new one). I do get a lot more horsepower I noticed, but not sure how much more. I DO notice about 3-5 miles per gallon better performance which has been a lifesaver. I get compliments on the sound all the time. A 40 series lightly rumbles at idle, and barks when you step on the gas. I don't notice it as much in the winter, but in the window down times, it purrs. Hope this helps..

Last edited:

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live where they salt the roads in the winter and haven't had problems with stock. One of the biggest problems for rusting out pipes and mufflers is short trips where the exhaust system never gets hot enough to evaprate the moisture that condenses in it. YOu would be right that the 2 1/4 are okay because they are only carrying half the exhaust of the 3". A few years back a friend talked to a local muffler shop about dualing out his Ram, stock is either a 2.5 or 2.75 pipe. The guy at the shop told him he'd be happy to dual it out for him but he'd get the same benefits and spend less by going to a 3" cat back pipe and high flow muffler, he recommended the Spintech Sportsman XL. I figure if the guy was making less money he must have been telling the truth, if he was going to lie it would be to ream my friend not save him money, and if the guy was willing to spend the coin for the performance of the dual system it wouldn't be good for business to talk the guy into something that performed worse. I had the same set up done to my Ram. There are several models of Spintech, the Sportsman XL is one of the quieter ones. It has a nice subtle rumble at idle and under acceleration a nice throatier sound, if that's a word. It's not loud and rumbling but you can still tell when it's coming down the block. If you're after volume I'm sure they make louder models if you are interested. Mine has been on my Ram for approx. 7 years and it's still in good shape. I've never had a Flowmaster or Magnaflow or any of the others so I have nothing to compare to but I am pleased with the Spintech and if I ever have a little extra I plan on putting one on my 'Ho.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

rockman20

Reaction score
I had flowmaster 40 series on my old 82 Scottsdale. True duals. Off the headers, into dual muffs, and then out the back. 2.5 inch piping all the way. This truck gets used to plow with now. It has been through almost 5 winters now up here in the great frozen North. It has seen many miles in Minnesota during winter months also. In fact the guy I sold it to put almost 60,000 miles on it before he sold it to someone else.

I still get to see and drive the truck and the Flowmasters sound just as good today as they did back when I had them installed. They are rusty, but are still holding up with no leaks. I am not sure if the price is really worth it for stainless yet.

Those Flowmasters sure gave that old 350 a unmistakeable tone though! I loved it as did everyone that heard it. I think the trick was, I had the guy put some pretty thick pipes on. Way thicker then stock exhaust tubing. This gave the tone no where to go but out the tailpipes. Cost a little extra, but I would do it again.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I think I'm going to stick with the flowmasters, thanks withac! I'm going to purchase the muffler, and let the Performance Shop do the piping. I'm probably going to get the 40 or 50 series muffler, with 3" tips (I'll post pics in the upcoming weeks!). My next mod will be a Black Bear Tune, not sure after that. You guys have ANY suggestions?????

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to stick with the flowmasters, thanks withac! I'm going to purchase the muffler, and let the Performance Shop do the piping. I'm probably going to get the 40 or 50 series muffler, with 3" tips (I'll post pics in the upcoming weeks!). My next mod will be a Black Bear Tune, not sure after that. You guys have ANY suggestions?????

Now that it can exhale easier have you done anything to let it inhale easier? if not, and if you plan on the BB tune, I'd suggest replacing the stock air intake before the tune.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I have a K&N 77 series CAI, that was my 1st mod. I've been doing the mods kind of slow 'cause I travel a lot, & I just got my truck out of the shop, but I want to pick it back up before the summer.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a K&N 77 series CAI, that was my 1st mod. I've been doing the mods kind of slow 'cause I travel a lot, & I just got my truck out of the shop, but I want to pick it back up before the summer.

From what I've gathered, e-fans would be a good next step. I haven't done them, my modding money is pretty limited, but if you have the time and money do them before the tune as well since there are pins that need to be turned on for them to function. Justin can do that when he does the tune.