Front Suspension Knockig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darrowl

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe, I am getting a knocking noise in the front end and can feel it in the sterring wheel. I know that there was a service bulliten on this problem when it was under warranty. I think it may have had something to do with the intermidiate shaft??? Can any one help with finding the solution to repair this. I believe it had something to do with re-packing it with grease, but I need a little help locating it and the steps to do it.

Thanks

darrowl

Reaction score
This looks like what the dealer was telling me about last time I had the problem... I am going to try it this week... will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the info. And great pics to go with it.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every single one of the trucks make this noise. Cars do it too. Like other have said Gm fix used to be repack with greese but that only last so long. What I've seen is that the newest version of the shaft takes care of this permantly.

John

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, I thought something was jacked up in my front drivers side suspension. I had no idea there was an issue with that shaft. I'm going to have to buy that replacement shaft!

darrowl

Reaction score
Dahlar,

This did the trick. The problem is gone for now... Now to just wait and see how long it last. Some others have told me this may just be a temporary fix (2000-3000 miles). If so it has been said that Chevy has updated the part to correct the problem and its about $200-300. I am assuming it is easy to put in. So we wait and see....

Dahlar

Reaction score
I ordered the new part and am going to try out the permanent fix, was only around $68 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com

darrowl

Reaction score
Cool. Please let me know how it works and if its easy to replace. Also can you send the part number if you have it?

Thanks!

2000tahoe

Reaction score
I greased mine on my lunch break today,just couldnt take the clunking noise anymore.Pumped it full with my electric grease gun till it was packedfull of grease.Nice and quiet for now.Ill see how long it last then deside on replacing it.Was a pleasure to drive home from work today what a difference.

Last edited:

unlukky

Reaction score
Changed it.
30 minutes. :au:
DAMN!!! What a difference! No clunking when entering driveways. The new piece looks like it was built with a little more engineering involved. More metal, less slop. So far so good. :yaya:

Changed out all 4 shocks too.

Let me know if you need a little help with this. It was really that easy. :gy:

John