Fuel filter is kicking my arse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
I'm trying to change out the fuel filter on my 04 5.3 flex fuel yukon. I've now spent $20 on fuel line disconnect tools and none of them work. I even tried to alter one to fit and it wouldn't reach far enough to dis=engage the clip. I called a chevy dealer and they told me I can't just buy GM specialty tools. I was not happy with that answer. They probably want me to come in there and spend $150 to change a damn fuel filter! Does anyone know where I can get the right tool to disconnect the fuel line from the filter? I suppose a banjo bolt fitting would be too easy for GM!:mad2:

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I am currently looking for a tool as well and will let you know if I come across something that will work.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Do you have the removal tool made for the flex fuel systems? The filter is different. Try to Google Lisle 35000 - GM Flex Fuel Disconnect Tool.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on any specialty tool. If you buy replacement filters from the GM dealership you won't have any problems changing them after you get the original out. You should be able to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to release it in the future.

Remove your fuel cap. Disconnect the filter at the back with the nut. Then get ahold of the fuel filter with your left hand. Get ahold of the hose/fitting at the front of the fuel filter with your right hand. You might want to have a rag handy in case fuel drains out of the filter. All you have to do is pull the the fuel filter out of the front fitting. It may take a little effort to seperate the filter from the front fitting, but you're not going to hurt anything, just make sure you don't yank on the fuel line at the front of the filter (hold the front fuel line/fitting in place, pull on the filter).

The original flex fuel filter has a little metal clip that locks the filter in place inside the fitting in your right hand. Make sure to get that metal clip out before putting your new filter in. Put your new filter in, put your gas cap back on, start it and make sure there are no leaks. You should be good to go!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is called a quick connect fitting, and pulling on it (I was told) is not the correct way to disconnect it as it will damage it. This clip NEEDS to be there, it prevents the line from backing out. The fuel system operates at 58psi, without that clip there, what is holding that line onto the filter?

What is needed is a disconnect tool.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
The original clip only needs to be there with the original factory filter. The replacement GM fuel filter comes with a plastic clip that does the exact same thing that the metal clip does on the original, except you can actually get at it with needle nose pliers when you need to replace it, unlike the original metal clip.

15k+++ miles since I replaced mine with no leaking has put my mind at ease. Feel free to spend money on a specialty tool that isn't needed if you wish.

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ordered the tool on fleabay for 12 bux shipped. I'll be spilling more gas in no time!