Fuel Pump Access Panel; Picture heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babcoca822

Reaction score
Are there any drawbacks to doing this (other than the fact you have to cut into the floor)?
How did you clean the debris around the fuel pump before it was removed...Air, Water?

magnum440

Reaction score
I just did mine this way. I had just filled it up with fuel and moved it about 10 feet and it cut off. When I removed the fuel lines from the pump, fuel ran out of the ports on the pump. I let some of the excess fuel drain out through the ports where the fuel line attached to the pump to keep fuel from over flowing when I removed the pump. I attached a 3/8 hose to the main port and ran it through the wheel well to a fuel can. I have done four or five fuel pumps on various vehicles and this had to be the easiest one yet. As far as cleaning the area around the pump, I used brake parts cleaner and compressed air. I'm sure you could use soap and water if you were sure the seal at the pump was in good shape. Be careful how deep you cut the panel. the tank is close to the floor.

tazzzytazus

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

Thank you very much man. My pump just went out in my 99 Tahoe, 10 minutes after filling up with gas, was thinking there had to be a way without dropping the tank!!!! I'm glad I found your post. Now I just need the weather to cooperate with me, too damn cold to do it for the next couple days.:happy160:

tazzzytazus

Reaction score
Great Post and pictures!!!!!

Going to replace mine tomorrow like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!:superhack:

cattleshow

Reaction score
What I'm having a hard time comprehending is why if you're so mechanically inclined to take the seat out and cut the hole in the floor pan but you can't raise the truck, unbolt a couple gas tank straps and do it the right way? Not that difficult..[/QUOTE

WHY-Because some love doing mods that the factory should have done.
On my wifes car (not a GM),it was flip the rear seat,remove 4 screws from access plate and the pump was looking at me. sweet. Having to remove the gas tank to change a pump is a real lack of engineering skill on GM's part.

I was looking for a way to do this mod and this write up with pics is the answer to a prayer. Thank you so much. I will do this asap.

We are full time RVers (Casita travel trailer) and if I need to fix my Tahoe aside the road it will make the fuel pump replacement a can do for me. I will carry a spare along with the spare alternator. The two most common breakdowns.Cheap insurance to avoid the high garage prices.
Dennis

keek007

Reaction score
im thinking of doing the same with my 99 but i am going to make a latch and put a hinge on mine. seal it with some weather strip and after i rhinoline the floor it will still give access when needed. having said that im a welder lol it looks good tho man and thanks for the pics. im steeling all your ideas and improving them to fit my needs. i hope to one day return the favor lol

anunez

Reaction score
I also cut an access hole and used an oscillating saw works real well, now just to fix the leaks from the Quick Connect with new O-Ring Kit and new Retaining Clips. I just hope I put the O-Rings in right.

Goat

Reaction score
catyrt 262

Will try your access panel. My question is, you put in a Bosch pump in 2012. Do you still recommend it? Is it compatible with the 10% methanol added to fuel we use today?
Thank you
goat

desertevac

Reaction score
Carter262, Thanks for the great time saving tip. I needed to replace my fuel pump just recently and used your tip to facilitate the replacement. What a time saver!! KUDOS brother!:happy160:

jaystoy

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of a 2-door process?? Where is the cut location? I have a 99 2-door and need to know it the access is just as easy? Where is cut location? Pics? Thanks

Fisherman

Reaction score
Great pics, Thanks for posting. I am going to do this on a 2001 Tahoe on Saturday.

Fisherman

Reaction score
I used your post and pics to cut access panel and change out fuel pump in 2001 Tahoe. My seat pan and seats were a little dofferent but other than that it went pretty smooth. For those having trouble with the gasket and locking ring when going back together, this is what I did. I put a coat of white lithium grease on the inside and outside of the seal and on the bottom surface of the locking ring. Holding downward pressure on the locking ring, I used a pry bar to spin into locking position.

Attachments

• IMG_6271.JPG
    IMG_6271.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 27

JEfftou

Reaction score
Do u have any more pictures I got a 2001 Tahoe need to pull fuel pump because of gas gauge all over the place. I want to cut the access but just not sure of exact location I know behind drivers seat and under back passenger seat but just looking for more detail pic only want to cut once

Chevytahoe01

Reaction score
I am looking for more information as well 2001 Tahoe fuel pump went and I just filled the tank

JEfftou

Reaction score
In that case I'd definitely go with the access panel that's a lot of gas to unload

JEfftou

Reaction score
I am looking for more information as well 2001 Tahoe fuel pump went and I just filled the tank
So I just went for it today. I cut the rug and pad under the seat first basically from the little hump near the bolt that holds the tire rod and forward to the front of the truck just before the metal drops down to where I put your feet. The width was from seat support to seat support. Just keep in mind not to plunge the grinder all the way thru. Removed metal and pump is right there. Ordered Dorman pump on eBay was like $62 will install maybe sat. To close it up I'll get some cross metal with self tapping screws and than silicone the cut to stop any air filtration. Not to worried since it's jamed above the tank and doesn't see water or snow

Fisherman

Reaction score
Do u have any more pictures I got a 2001 Tahoe need to pull fuel pump because of gas gauge all over the place. I want to cut the access but just not sure of exact location I know behind drivers seat and under back passenger seat but just looking for more detail pic only want to cut once

No unfortunately not. That is the only pic that I took. Have you done yours yet?

Fisherman

Reaction score
So I just went for it today. I cut the rug and pad under the seat first basically from the little hump near the bolt that holds the tire rod and forward to the front of the truck just before the metal drops down to where I put your feet. The width was from seat support to seat support. Just keep in mind not to plunge the grinder all the way thru. Removed metal and pump is right there. Ordered Dorman pump on eBay was like $62 will install maybe sat. To close it up I'll get some cross metal with self tapping screws and than silicone the cut to stop any air filtration. Not to worried since it's jamed above the tank and doesn't see water or snow

Good, glad you were able to access it. Lots better than dropping the tank.

JEfftou

Reaction score
Well Sunday it was warm here so I got it all cut open to make sure I'd be able to get to it. I was scared cutting it I told my 13 old daughter here goes nothing lol I was able to get it all open and ordered a Dorman pump of eBay for $62 This coming sat it's suppose to be 60 out so I plan on doing it sat. I'm going to go to Lowe's to get some flat stock metal to brace the part I cut out. Than I'll silicone the cut after I screw back together