FUEL PUMP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe702

Reaction score
how many of u guys
fuel pumps
fu8ked up on u guys???

MINES DID
and a couple of my other homies as well did tooo

but i got it fixed
and replaced ma fuel injectors nd fuel lines!!!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced 3 on mine, i'm now on the 4th and it seems to be doing pretty good

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always try to get a pump from NAPA or GM Direct if the need ever comes to be once again. Those which are available at autozone, o'reillys, etc. are of a weaker quality diaphram and tend to fail prematurely.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the pump i bought at auto-zone came with a Lifetime warranty so imma abuse that as much as possible!! - they now have brought that down to like a 3 month warranty.. guess they figured out that they are loosing major money

However - as long as you bought it with a lifetime - than you will have it when you need it no matter what -

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My second one is starting to make that wonderful whinning noise too, so it looks like #3 is on its way. (2nd was only put it about 3 years ago and was from Napa. AC Delco is i remember correctly)

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine this past fall. It sucked.

How did you guys get your 'hoe up high enough to drop the tank?

Hardwarz

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine this past fall. It sucked.

How did you guys get your 'hoe up high enough to drop the tank?

Hardwarz

Run the back wheels up some of those 12" ramps that ya get at wally world or the local auto supply store. Or you can jackup the back axle but then it is kinda in the way of the tanks rear end.

BoostJunkE

Reaction score
Always try to get a pump from NAPA or GM Direct if the need ever comes to be once again. Those which are available at autozone, o'reillys, etc. are of a weaker quality diaphram and tend to fail prematurely.

Ditto,

You may get a life time warrante but you still have to bust knuckles droping the tank etc. So I would invest in a quality part and use that time droping a tank on something else.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i changed mine back in march. and the tank had a full tank of gas.

Mine was half full. I siphoned 1 gallon and put it into my wife's car (her's was already full.)
5 gallons went into my friend's car.
5 gallons stayed in the can
two 1 gallon stayed in the cans

The rest of the gas stayed in the tank.

Hardwarz

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto,

You may get a life time warrante but you still have to bust knuckles droping the tank etc. So I would invest in a quality part and use that time droping a tank on something else.

I've dropped that tank.. goodness 6 times? maybe.. doing numerous wiring things just checking grounds etc.. and changing pumps - i've gotten it down to about 30 mins, out in in.. - take fuel pressure sensor wiring off - then 2 bolts.. - take the straps off, drop the tank, three hoses, sender unit harness off - take tank slide it out, pop the o-ring off pull pump out, drain gas look for debris - put some lube around the new seal, put new pump in, pop the o-ring back on (the hardest part) - and slide it back in, put the hoses back on, the wiring harness, pop the straps back around it, bolts, wiring for the fuel pressure sensor.. done..

BoostJunkE

Reaction score
I've dropped that tank.. goodness 6 times? maybe.. doing numerous wiring things just checking grounds etc.. and changing pumps - i've gotten it down to about 30 mins, out in in.. - take fuel pressure sensor wiring off - then 2 bolts.. - take the straps off, drop the tank, three hoses, sender unit harness off - take tank slide it out, pop the o-ring off pull pump out, drain gas look for debris - put some lube around the new seal, put new pump in, pop the o-ring back on (the hardest part) - and slide it back in, put the hoses back on, the wiring harness, pop the straps back around it, bolts, wiring for the fuel pressure sensor.. done..

Dayum....6 times:crazy::ack:

You drive around on empty all the time or what:eek2:

Now how often does your truck break down at home during your off days? Our fuel pump on my wife's Tahoe just went belly up at our hotel 700 miles away from home. So chances are you got more than 30 mins tied up in that pump change....don't forget the time it takes to run down to Autozone either. Anyhow, all I'm saying is using an OEM pump instead of an Autozone pump could reduce that 6 times to once or twice.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
My second one is starting to make that wonderful whinning noise too, so it looks like #3 is on its way. (2nd was only put it about 3 years ago and was from Napa. AC Delco is i remember correctly)

My stock fuel pump was noisy for YEARS. In fact, as far as I know, it's always been loud. When mine crapped out last fall (around 130-135k miles) I was stunned at how quiet the new pump was.

In fact, I kinda liked that noise in my old pump. It's only because it made that noise that I could immediately diagnose why it didn't start that one time--I couldn't hear the whine. If my new pump were to crap out on me, I'd never know it because it's so quiet.

Incidentally, it's a good idea to change the relay when you change the pump.

_dennis

DaveEye

Reaction score
My stock fuel pump was noisy for YEARS. In fact, as far as I know, it's always been loud. When mine crapped out last fall (around 130-135k miles) I was stunned at how quiet the new pump was.

After cleaning up a grounding strap to try and fix the vibrating fuel guage needle, I noticed the fuel pump being really noisy while the Yukon was idling. I'd never noticed this noise before. Are they typically noisy enough to be heard while standing next to the vehicle while it's idling? I don't know if it's coincidence that I am now hearing the fuel pump (meaning it's going bad) or if it's supposed to do it always.

It's kind of a medium sounding buzzing noise coming from the area in front of the rear wheel, under the body.

I'm just worried that it may be about to go out and I'd hate to have my wife stranded during the winter weather.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
After cleaning up a grounding strap to try and fix the vibrating fuel guage needle, I noticed the fuel pump being really noisy while the Yukon was idling. I'd never noticed this noise before. Are they typically noisy enough to be heard while standing next to the vehicle while it's idling? I don't know if it's coincidence that I am now hearing the fuel pump (meaning it's going bad) or if it's supposed to do it always.

Yes, you can hear them from outside while it's running. And like I said, mine was loud for many years before it crapped out, so I wouldn't be worried about the noise. However, when they do go out there's no limping to a good stopping point--the engine simply goes off or won't start. So if you have a lot of miles on it and are concerned about the wife, go ahead and throw a new one in there.

DaveEye

Reaction score
...However, when they do go out there's no limping to a good stopping point--the engine simply goes off or won't start. So if you have a lot of miles on it and are concerned about the wife, go ahead and throw a new one in there.

Yeah, I know there isn't any warning on when the fuel pump goes it. I've only had the Yukon about 3 weeks now, but with 135,000 miles on it and no idea whether the fuel pump was ever replaced, I'm going to just do it anyways. I have seen some posts that show the AC Delco pump should last around 80,000 miles, so if my wife is driving around on the original, I'd better not push our luck :) Thanks for the reply!