Gas Leak!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i've got a great smell of raw gasoline in the cab of my tahoe now, took a quick look at the lines, but they look dry from where they enter the engine all the way to the tank. going to have to find it tomorrow, cause i don't want it to blow up while driving it.... it doesn't seem to be from the exhaust either, but sitting in the driveway running it seems like its coming from the rear end somewhere.

is there any trouble spots where a leak usually occours? top of the tank? connectors? bad lines?

truck is a 96 with almost 170K on the clock...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any puddles on your driveway???

Take some cardboard and put it under. see if anything forms. Also dont mean to make you sound stupid, but its happened to me before. Is your gas cap on tight??? I have had it on enough to stop the check engine light from going off, but when ever i made a right turn gas would spill out. :thumbsup:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
naw, nothing on the driveway, or any noticeable wet spots (or dried wet spots)

cap is on there, guess i should have seen if it was on there correctly. its one of those locking caps, guess i could put the stocker back on there and see if its that junky cap...

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, the craptastic locking cap that was on it stopped sealing correctly. guess its time to buy a new one...

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 95 2 door. It has the factory OEM cap still on it. Could that be my problem too??

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive replaced the top of the gas tank seal and metal ring. it costed like 30 bucks from Gm to fix it..

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a 'bad gas cap' means it isnt holding pressure in the tank right? How could that be the cause of a fuel leak? I would think if it wasnt venting the air it would cause a leak...just trying to figure this out. thanks

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a 'bad gas cap' means it isnt holding pressure in the tank right? How could that be the cause of a fuel leak? I would think if it wasnt venting the air it would cause a leak...just trying to figure this out. thanks

wait what?

a loose/bad cap won't cause a leak.... it will let the gasoline vapors out of the tank.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. So how would the gas cap be in relation to a fuel leak?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he never said he saw anything on the ground, when you have a lose cap, fumes can get out of the tank and in the air, making it so that you smell GAS>>>

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotchya. I read that too early in the morning to even realize. haha Looks like a have a bad line or something. Time to drop the tank..whose game?? ha. Thanks

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesnt always mean a bad line. I replaced all my fuel lines and the fuel tank seals and sh*t. The lines costed 150 bucks each and theres 2 of them. So 300 and some change in 2 lines. Ive dropped my tank about 4 times since i had it. Its not a fun job. Its big, weird shaped, and heavy. When you bring the tank down, i would suggest to then get new seals and do everything now instead of doing it in a couple months when something else goes wrong. IMO...

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hah ya. I have dropped the tank in a 4 door Tahoe, and a stepside '94 Chevy pickup. Luckily I have access to a lift so it makes it a little easier.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a lift too, but its not as easy as your saying it is.. its a 2 person job, one holding the sob and another unbolting and getting the hoses unconnected..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn makes me glad i have a 2-door with a regular gas tank in it. even better is i don't need a lift. theres enough room to drop it with the truck sitting in the driveway.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear ya, I had a buddy helping both times on those tanks. Pain in the ass.

Must be nice to just let it down tho...one day I'll get a lift. hahaha