Headlight Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asked already about this under a different thread so forgive me, but I'm at wit's end. This morning I pulled the headlight assemblies and the grill so I could get to the wiring harness - sort of. The passenger side headlight won't light - high beam, side marker, drl,parking light/turn signal all work. Driver's side is fine.
Checked the NEW bulb on the other side - works fine. Used a volt meter on the plug - nothing. Paranoid, checked the volt meter on the other side - works. Stripped a tiny bid of insulation behind the plug - tested - nothing.
Checked all fuses and relays. All is well.
SO - it appears to me that I've got a short or a worn through connection somewhere in the mass of wires that comprise the headlight wiring harness.
Am I missing something? I did notice a couple of unidentified wire terminations that seat into sockets right behind the grill - looks like they might be temperature sensors or something, but I confess my ignorance.

If the harness is bad, dare I strip into it? Or is it something a weekend wannabe mechanic can replace? I'm at a dead end - just can't believe that it isn't something I could repair, but I fear a trip to the mechanic is just around the corner.....

Anyone?

:confused::confused::confused:

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only 1 light is out there has to be a broken wire or connection somewhere. You just need to trace it back your meter to find the break.

Would a wiring diagram help you?

If you give me a year and model and e-mail address I can probably shoot one over to you.

Ed

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one works and the other doesn’t I would check from the light that works and work your way to the other. There is no reason for them to be on separate circuits (ie they are either both on or both off) if all else fails run a wire over from the one that works and tie it into the one that doesn’t for a temp solution.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. Wire was broken on the opposite side after the junction - the loom leads to the driver's side headlight then over to the passenger. Both "eyes" are functioning now. Best thing is that, when it first happened I assumed it was a bulb and it gave me an excuse to buy a couple of those cool blue bulbs...much brighter, whiter light. Thanks all for the help