Help -- I'm considering a BLACK Tahoe!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't had a black car (last was a '93 Cobra) since 2001. Maybe it's the seven year lay off from caring for black that has me considering it again -- or maybe it's just the fact that the new Tahoes just look beautiful in black...

Am I crazy?

My '02 Tahoe is that light metallic pewter (I think that's the name). This thing looks clean even when it's filthy. I DO take good care of it, never taking it through automated car washes, and keeping it polished, etc, but the bottom line is that the color really hides dirt and imperfections in the paint. Since I'm very particular about my vehicles looking good (if I can help it), I've found that this color has been very liveable. But I'm looking for a change.

So now I'm considering the notion of taking care of a BIG vehicle that's black, and I'm a bit hesitant. I had my Cobra repainted at one point, and shortly after that I could see swirls appear again, and it just made me cringe. (Granted, I don't think I was using the best polishes back then.)

How are you owners-of-black-Tahoes doing with the maintenance of your paint? Any of you wishing you hadn't gone with the black? Are you finding the paint to be decent and are able to keep it looking good? Anyone NOT in a black Tahoe right now because of a more-recent bad experience with black? If you do have black now, how particular are you about the appearance of your paint?

Just looking to hear your thoughts on the matter, understanding full well that color selection is personal, but that there is also a practicality issue to it.

Thanks, folks!

/< / /2 /<

houtex

Reaction score
I purchased an 08 LTZ last week. When I was looking,I had a choice between black,gray,or white.The second day I showed up for the test drive it and just rained. The black and the gray looked terrible,the white still looked clean. Now, Black is one of my favorite colors on a vehicle,but right now at this point in my life,my garage is a storage locker,no carport and I am very busy with school and 2 jobs. I don't have the time it would take ME to care for such a large black vehicle. I went with the white. If you have the knowledge of how to give black that Little extra care that it needs,go for it. White is a little more forgiving.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love black, infact every car in our family has been black for some time now, but IMO the General puts very cheap paint jobs on their vehicles. If I had to chose now, I would go white. My .02

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a black Cavalier years ago and swore I'd never own another black vehicle...along with the constant cleaning it got unGodly hot in the summer..love my white Hoe

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I thought I'd be getting lots more pro-black sentiments. I know it might be early as far as responses go, but folks seems to be confirming some of my fears.

What about the idea that touch up/repair of black is much easier than that of other colors? This seems like it would be true, but is it? Should that play into my considerations at all?

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I thought I'd be getting lots more pro-black sentiments. I know it might be early as far as responses go, but folks seems to be confirming some of my fears.

What about the idea that touch up/repair of black is much easier than that of other colors? This seems like it would be true, but is it? Should that play into my considerations at all?

solid (non metalic) colors are the easiest....silver, gold & white diamond the hardest to match

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like black I have found that the metallic blacks show a lot less dirt and smudges then your standard glossy blacks. I have a metallic black on my SRT8 and we just added a "Carbon Flash Metallic" GMC Acadia to our fleet and for black they always look clean. My wife just made this observation on the Acadia this weekend. We've only washed the car once in the month and a half that we have had it and it still looks clean. I know the color is available on at least some of the '09's but I'm unsure on exactly which vehicles it may be limited to.

KennyB22

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't had a black car (last was a '93 Cobra) since 2001. Maybe it's the seven year lay off from caring for black that has me considering it again -- or maybe it's just the fact that the new Tahoes just look beautiful in black...

Am I crazy?

My '02 Tahoe is that light metallic pewter (I think that's the name). This thing looks clean even when it's filthy. I DO take good care of it, never taking it through automated car washes, and keeping it polished, etc, but the bottom line is that the color really hides dirt and imperfections in the paint. Since I'm very particular about my vehicles looking good (if I can help it), I've found that this color has been very liveable. But I'm looking for a change.

So now I'm considering the notion of taking care of a BIG vehicle that's black, and I'm a bit hesitant. I had my Cobra repainted at one point, and shortly after that I could see swirls appear again, and it just made me cringe. (Granted, I don't think I was using the best polishes back then.)

How are you owners-of-black-Tahoes doing with the maintenance of your paint? Any of you wishing you hadn't gone with the black? Are you finding the paint to be decent and are able to keep it looking good? Anyone NOT in a black Tahoe right now because of a more-recent bad experience with black? If you do have black now, how particular are you about the appearance of your paint?

Just looking to hear your thoughts on the matter, understanding full well that color selection is personal, but that there is also a practicality issue to it.

Thanks, folks!

/< / /2 /<

I was going to get a pewter z71 but a black z71 came in first and of course it looked really nice and clean in the delaer's lot, so I got it. I had a white 2 door sport which I loved to death, even though it had almost 300k miles, and that one was great. I love my black z71, but I live on a long dirt road, and on Long Island we don't get too much rain in the summer/fall, so it's real dusty quite often. As long as you don't live on a dirt road I would say get one, if you like cleaning your tahoe often. (No matter what I color I would of got I would clean it quite often.) As far as the paint the only minor problem I have had is a small spot on the rear bumper where the clear coat got worn off. Best of luck with your chioce and new tahoe.

gbleezy

Reaction score
i had a black 05 Yukon and i will never buy black again but that's just me. it looked awesome when clean but i would always see my daughter's fingerprints on the doors and every little spec of dust or pollen.

now i'm very happy with my greystone 08 tahoe.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Am I crazy?

Thanks, folks!

/< / /2 /<

I had an 03 Hummer that was that metallic pewter that your talking about and your right, it doesn't show dirt. But like you I got tired of it and wanted a change. So...I went back to black. It does show the dirt more but when it's clean (like u seem to keep your cars) you can't beat it. And to be honest I haven't had that much of a problem keeping it clean looking. Now when you run through a mud puddle or something like that it's a problem but sometimes you just can't beat black. IMO

Attachments

• Z71 038.jpg
    Z71 038.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 16

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a very busy man, working some 60-75 hour weeks, but I always try to make time to wash my truck about every 10 days. It's like a hobby to me, relaxing. I recommend polish, sealant, and wax, so you can just quick detail between washes. Sure it looks dirty sometimes, but during those times I don't really care- and even then it still looks better than many others. But when it is clean, well it just pops. So no, I do not regret getting black, and wouldn't want it in any other color, but it is true that it had been a while since black, and that I had been through silver, etc. prior to it. But my attitude is simply that if the dirt is bothering you then just wash it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But my attitude is simply that if the dirt is bothering you then just wash it.

Well... It's not so much the dirt as it is the fact that even after painstakingly washing and polishing black, you can often step back and see swirls and scratches and every other paint imperfection that other colors just don't show.

I'm wondering if I want to go through THAT again.

But like others have said, and I agree, nothing looks quite like a clean, black truck/car.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a black Yukon and IMO it's the best color for it. Some cars look good in colors others don't. I also think the Tahoe can look great in other colors, white, any gray, and black. The Yukon, just in my little world 'pops' in black only. It takes me two hours to wash and detail the truck weekly. I use all synthetic materials when washing and only use some of those products a few times before I discard and buy new. I'm this way both with the wifeys Lexus and my GMC. Neither have swirl marks, and any imperfections I've been able to minimize. The kicker for me, I work from home and both are in the garage most the time. Also, not much rain in Las Vegas, and I have a dust mop for during the week. If you don't have the time and the resources, I would say steer clear of black. Especially if you are particular like me. I have had three black vehicles, and always enjoyed washing and taking care of them. If you are not into this, I would say Gray. OH! and if you are in a snowy area like Denver, or the east coast, white looks like crap after the snow starts to melt. Just another small opinion.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get the black hoe, the detailing man and local car wash guy are going to love you

Yeah, well *I* am the detailing man -- and I've never taken my '02 Tahoe (nor my '01 Z06) through a car wash (I'm the car wash, too). :(

This is what has me worried. LOL

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your the meticulous type then plan on quitting your day job, because your going to need all the time in the world to keep on top of a black and very large SUV like the tahoe.

I wanted a black suburban before I went out and got a white one. I went with white because everybody I know with a black car/SUV/truck, even if its 3 months old has swirl marks in there black paint. A black SUV as large as a tahoe would need to be compounded and waxed every few months to keep her looking brand new. I know a guy that works for a limo company that details there limos and he is employed full time there 6 days a week to keep on top of there black limos.

And do you really want to know what's worse then owning a black hoe? Owning one with black interior

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And do you really want to know what's worse then owning a black hoe? Owning one with black interior

Because...?

I have a hard time with the black car with black leather interior is sooo much hotter. I live in Las Vegas and I'm black on black. Daily temps have been over 103 and inside temp is no different than my friends white Tahoe with gray interior (120-133). Nifty laser temp gun said it all. So again, because...?

I have two dogs, one is a Samoyed/Mix and the other Border Collie/Mix. They both enjoy road trips in my Yuk. Hair comes out with the shop vac, so does any dust and stuff from where we went. Is the black 'bad' because is shows more?

Just want to understand your experience so I can ward off some upcoming casualty of black. Have an 89 mustang with very little swirl marks. Interior is grey and still looks brand new. Been hand washing and detailing for a few years now. =)

I will agree it's more effort, but people love riding in my Yukon. "It's like flying first class, who is going to serve me my drink though?" - that has been my fav to date.

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I think black looks good on a few different vehicles. I've had plenty of black cars in the past, and my Tahoe and CTS are both black. It's a pain to keep looking good, but imo, when maintained and polished right, it looks good and worth the trouble.