Help! K&N & Magnaflow issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammyd173

Reaction score
So I have an '04 5.3l 2WD.

I made the usual mistake of bolting too many thing on in one go.

I put on Chevy SS replica wheels, (20"), K&N cold air kit, and a Magnaflow exhaust.

The truck feels like it lost 30HP!

The Magnaflow is ridiculously loud for me at 2.5k on the tach. I'll be selling this to anyone that wants it after I bolt the stock exhaust back on today. It resonates real bad, so be warned!

I'm wondering if either the K&N was somehow installed badly (done by a great mechanic along with the exhaust so who knows).

OR could it be that these replica wheels from discount tire are so ridiculously heavy that they are robbing all my power. The tire diameter is supposed to be the same as stock, so it shouldn't be a gearing issue.

Any thoughts? ? ?

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't be right....the intake and exhaust alone should get you around 30 ponies and the wheels couldnt make that big of a difference.

sammyd173

Reaction score
Couldn't be right....the intake and exhaust alone should get you around 30 ponies and the wheels couldnt make that big of a difference.

Can anyone tell me what an oem wheel and tire weighs? I'm going to weigh one of my new wheels to see what's up.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something isn't right here, I didn't lose much power going from 17's to 20's and my magnaflow isn't loud at all until you stand on it. Which system did you buy and what wheels are they, the chrome SS? The power you gained from the intake and exhaust should more than make up for the wheel difference. Did you install the maf backwards or something? Any check engine lights or issues running/idling?

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your problem is the K&N CAI, i once heard from a cool dude that AEM Brute Force is the way to go!!! I have 24s, magnaflow custom bent exhaust and the AEM Brute Force CAI, everything is good to go with mine. Boost, fix this dudes truck!!! quit being a punk, you know whats wrong with it.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i paid about $550 for mine. i have seen many ppl that got theirs done and it doesnt look that great because its a kit. mine was custom bent for my truck and to my liking. i will try and digg up some pics later.

WHERE DID MY THREAD GO JK??? why you gotta go changing this site all the time? i cant find the threads that i want to reference for this guys question.

sammyd173

Reaction score
Thanks guys. One of you nailed it.

So I sprang for a $380 oem exhaust yesterday (retail was $481, so I got a 'bargain'!)

Installed the exhaust - $100 more. Drove the truck home. SAME BOOMING NOISE!

It was the fr@#kin K&N CAI. Put the stock stuff back on and no more noise. That K&N is a JOKE!

Guess what - I have more power too, IMO. I notice more low end power with just the OEM exhaust replaced. I think this truck needs more back pressure to generate torque low down. I'm not talking a little more power either, but a lot more down low. I think the pipe and CAI will give you more peak HP, but that's not what any of us really need.

The CAI and exhaust were installed by a professional mechanic. Nothing was installed wrong.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you were expecting with an aftermarket intake and exhaust bro, but yeah, they are going to add some sound. Sorry it felt like you lost power though, that's not right. I guess factory is the better way to go for you.

I'll take that junk K&N off your hands though and dispose of it properly if you want me to, lol. ;)

sammyd173

Reaction score
I know, it's weird. I modify everything I buy - motocross bikes, sports cars, trucks - this just didn't work out.

I think the Magnaflow is probably a good piece, although I do think you trade low end for top end power.

I have the K&N complete in the box with instructions and even the little sticker. I don't recommend it at all. PM if you want to buy it though, I'll put it on eBay otherwise. $100 and I'll pay the shipping, if you think that's fair.

Exhaust is for sale too. It has about 800 miles on it. The shipping probably costs a bomb so maybe I'll just put it on Craigslist.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is is the black FIPK setup, or one of the chrome 77 series type deals?

If it's the FIPK, I'll consult the financial warden (read:wife) and see if thats doable. If it's the metal tubing, I'll pass.

As for the exhaust, I agree, do local only for that...shipping would be a grip for sure.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOTTA LOVE THAT MAGNAFLOW! It does die down in the cabin and gets louder on the outsied -strange. I like to get on it when the little ricers start trying to get crazy when they are weaving in and out of traffic. Just out of curiosity how much you want for it?

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, it's weird. I modify everything I buy - motocross bikes, sports cars, trucks - this just didn't work out.

I think the Magnaflow is probably a good piece, although I do think you trade low end for top end power.

I have the K&N complete in the box with instructions and even the little sticker. I don't recommend it at all. PM if you want to buy it though, I'll put it on eBay otherwise. $100 and I'll pay the shipping, if you think that's fair.

Exhaust is for sale too. It has about 800 miles on it. The shipping probably costs a bomb so maybe I'll just put it on Craigslist.

Where are you located?