How do I program the garage door opener in my '01 Tahoe LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tippinon24s

Reaction score
I just did this in my '01 BMW and want to program the one in my Truck. It was pretty easy in the beemer, but not sure where to start. It would be good to make this a "How to" sticky for all the different things to be done to these trucks, maintenance and etc.... Thanks in advance.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling†procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions†section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn†or “smart†button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn†or “smart†button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release†sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

This should work. Good luck.

tippinon24s

Reaction score
Where is the homelink indicator? Sorry if its a dumb question, but I have no manual or nothing for my truck.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The indicator light is on the button itself. Have you tried to program it yet?

tippinon24s

Reaction score
My buttons are 1,2, and C. Not sure what the C is either. I held the 1 and C but didnt see anything. This may not even be the buttons for an opener, but I think/thought they were. I held them and didnt notice any type of light. I'm going back out to see if I can see anything.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Sorry, but earlier I stated that the indicator light was on one of the buttons, when actually it is in front of the center button. Mine isn't labeled though. Not sure why yours is different, unless it's because of the trim level. But I work on different vehicles everyday, and in the LS trim, I don't recall anything labeled 1,2, and C. Have a pic?

tippinon24s

Reaction score
Here's a pic of what i was talking about. Somebody please tell me what the 1 2 C means or what its used for?

PIC-0141.jpg

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Are those the arrows to open/close your sunroof? So then you have an aftermarket sunroof.:confused2: I'm not even sure if the LS was available with a factory sunroof option.