how to improve your MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the best ways to improve your MPG? I don't driver her hard so that helps, but what about plugs, programmer, servo, CAI or intake?

any ideas ?

Huck

Reaction score
Get an AEM Brute Force Intake. I have one. Probably saw about a 1mpg increase. But the best thing I did was get a tune from Black Bear.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a volant CAI, headers, cats, and flomaster exhaust. MSD ignition and I have noticed MGP increases. maybe 50 miles per tank.

Black Bear is at the top left of this page as a supporting sponsor.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the 3 best ones are: Exhaust (I use Magnaflow... saw a small increase), Intake (AEM Brute Force has been shown to be one of the best for airflow), and a tune (Blackbear is a site sponsor and have received MANY recommendations from site members).

Also, a few other things that are not necessarily mods are:

-Tire pressure (I saw 1.5MPG increase on my S10 by adding 15lbs in my tires to get the proper pressure... 20psi to 35psi)
-Plugs / Wires / Tuneup - If your vehicle has quite a few miles, you may see an increase in performance as well as fuel mileage with a tuneup. A good platinum plug (I used the NGK TR-5 in mine) will be all that's necessary. Other gimmick plugs (E3, Bosch+4, Splitfire, etc) have been known to work, but also have been known to cause more problems than they're worth.
- Fuel filter - this should be changed every year. Most people don't. Clogged fuel filter can cause performance and fuel mileage issues.
-Seafoam - Sold at most autoparts stores. Using Seafoam cleans carbon deposits in the engine. Do a few searches to find good writeups on this. It's pretty easy and cheap.

and as you said... driving habits. Light-footed driving is good, however that's not the entirety. Driving so that you don't have to stop at lights (slowing down early before a red light) will also increase mileage. I've found that if you can get to speed, then coast as much as possible, it will gain MPG. There are many driving techniques that can also add some fuel mileage as well.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is so good about the Brute Force intakes? I've seen them referred a cpl times on this site. Never heard of them before til I joined here.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard Volant is better but that is over 300 for it, the ARM I can find for about 250plus shipping

sorry I did not see shipping charge.

Volant looks to me a little more my taste, I like the stock look but the aftermarket performance

Last edited:

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh really? Where is that? This is the best price I could find on the Brute Force: $277

Cheapest Volant I found was: $289

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the big pluses of the AEM Brute Force is the dry filter. According to the studies it filters as well and flows as well as the others but you don't need to oil it when you clean it. Just wash, let it dry, and throw it back in. I just put one in me 2K 'Ho. Too soon to tell but I think I got at least a 1 mpg bump.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, X2 on the plugs. My 'Ho had mileage in the low 90K's when I bought it. Changed plugs and wires (NGK Power Plats TR5GP gapped at .040 as per NGK recommendation) and some Bosch wires. Saw about a 1.5 to 2 mpg increase.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I may do that as well. I just bought the truck so I don't know how old the tune parts are.

I like the Volant better as well. From reading on TF, it seems better for low speed, city cruising?

Are other companies selling a dry filter as well, or just Brute Force?

jgiguere17, so are you going with Volant? Where are the best prices on those? Ebay?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never mind what I just said. I think its just like the K&N type that you have to clean and oil.

I slapped it in last year and havent looked back. I should check that today, thanks for the reminder.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never mind what I just said. I think its just like the K&N type that you have to clean and oil.

I slapped it in last year and havent looked back. I should check that today, thanks for the reminder.

The Volant Powercore filter is a non-oiled filter, but the regular one does require oil.

Unless you upgraded to the powercore filter, yours will need to be re-oiled after you clean it. That being said, the $289 price on a Volant intake with the Powercore filter upgrade and free shipping is pretty much a steal. Thats a great price.

the_chosen1

Reaction score
Get an AEM Brute Force Intake. I have one. Probably saw about a 1mpg increase.

!!!!! yes AEM Brute Force is the balls! Sounds great when teamed up with a good exhaust system. MPG with exhaust and AEM for me was about 3 MPG but that was when I wasnt mashing the gas pedal to hear my tahoe breath better.