Is this the 'typical' transfer case issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geo1

Reaction score
1998 Tahoe LS with the push button 4 wheel drive. I want to get the 4 wheel drive working BEFORE the snow hits the ground :crazy:.
I have power to the switch, but NONE of the lights are lit on it. If you push any of the buttons, nothing happens. I replaced the fuse as it was blown. With the key OUT of the ignition, when I plugged in the fuse to the 'transfer case' slot I got a small spark and a few clicks from under the dash but still no transfer case actuation.
Next step would be to check the power to the actuator on the transfer case, correct? How do I replace it if it is shot? IE: how does it unbolt?
If it turns out to the the actuator on the FRONT DIFF, that's pretty easy to replace, correct?
Just want to make sure I am doing these things in the right sequence.
Thanks!!!

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the actuator is bad. I have never replaced one personally but I dont believe its that hard.

zero

Reaction score
The 4WD acuator is very easy to change. The actuator is threaded, just screw it out of the the differential after unplugging the wire quick disconnect. The oil level is just below it, so you shouldnt lose any oil. After you screw it out plug it back in and push the 4WD button to test it. If it does nothing throw it away and install a new unit. They cost $85-$100.

I replaced mine two months ago...after trouble shooting the problem it only took 20 minutes to test and replace.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After replacing the fuse did you get lights at the switch?

The clicking you heard under was the 4wd controller. If you are still not getting any lights then the issue is most likely not the actuator since the switch lights should flash at you until the 4wd engages. It could be the switches (I recently replaced mine) or the controller (mine was replaced within last year also).

Now if the 4wd light is flashing at you when you press the switch (and you hear the click under the dash) then goes back to 2wd (not sure how long it waits, I think it is a 5 second delay) then it is most likely the transfer case switch or the actuator (since that is about all is in that circuit except for the output to the EBCM). From the number of people that I have talked to about this it appears it may be about 50-50 (but that certainly wasn't scientific).

The actuator is the easier of the 2 for replacement. At least it is the easiest to get to.

geo1

Reaction score
After replacing the fuse did you get lights at the switch?

The clicking you heard under was the 4wd controller. If you are still not getting any lights then the issue is most likely not the actuator since the switch lights should flash at you until the 4wd engages. It could be the switches (I recently replaced mine) or the controller (mine was replaced within last year also).

Now if the 4wd light is flashing at you when you press the switch (and you hear the click under the dash) then goes back to 2wd (not sure how long it waits, I think it is a 5 second delay) then it is most likely the transfer case switch or the actuator (since that is about all is in that circuit except for the output to the EBCM). From the number of people that I have talked to about this it appears it may be about 50-50 (but that certainly wasn't scientific).

The actuator is the easier of the 2 for replacement. At least it is the easiest to get to.

No change with the fuse change. The switch was changed w/ a new GM switch. I guess I will replace both the actuator and the controller...