Locking Gas Caps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As crazy as it might sound, there are people stealing gas. My previous vehicle had a door lock, not that its hard to break into that. But thieves and vandals are lazy, they'll look for vehicles without obstructions.

So any owners here have a locking gas cap? Is it worth it at all you think?

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cheap insurance. It also keeps vandals from putting things in your gas tank.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cheap insurance. It also keeps vandals from putting things in your gas tank.

Thats my main motivation for getting one. Want to stop the high school kids on a dare from pouring things into the tank.

Do you have one? Does it fit/work well?

I've been looking at the Stant Gas Cap locks.

Last edited:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As crazy as it might sound, there are people stealing gas. My previous vehicle had a door lock, not that its hard to break into that. But thieves and vandals are lazy, they'll look for vehicles without obstructions.

So any owners here have a locking gas cap? Is it worth it at all you think?

It depends on where you live, but just the fact that you are thinking about it tells me it's a possibility that someone will mess with it. It is worth paying a few bucks and the hassle at the pump for your peace of mind in knowing that nobody will mess with your gas tank.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a very safe neighborhood where people let their kids outside to play alone, they leave their garage doors open for hours, have parties at town center..etc. Still it doesn't mean its immune to unruly types that hunt down an easy target.

There has been a handful of car break-ins, one car stolen and someone who got their gas siphoned out while parked at an elementary school blocks from my house. Could have been some kids on a spirited dare as there was no damage to the vehicle(which happened to be a Tahoe).

So I'm just phishing for opinions on a particular brand of locking gas cap that owners tried and worked well on the '07 Tahoe/Denali's.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Stant Gas Cap locks.

Stant is one of the biggest makers of gas and radiator caps. I'm sure that it will work as advertised. I have a Stant locking gas cap on one of my older cars, and I have had no problems with it. I can't say how it will work on your Tahoe though. But I have no reason to think you would have any problems with it (as long as you don't lose the key :smilielol: ).

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
With the rising prices of fuel, I wouldn't be surprised if "stolen siphoned gas" starts to become more common soon. A locking cap wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the rising prices of fuel, I wouldn't be surprised if "stolen siphoned gas" starts to become more common soon. A locking cap wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

It's happened somewhat back when regular unleaded was almost $3.30 where I live.