Looking for some input on stuff!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm looking for some input from you.

1) I'm wondering whether I should keep the stock Denali tails, or get the IPCW LED tails (and what color).

img8728dl5.jpg

LEDT-311CB_big.jpg
LEDT-311CR_big.jpg

I'm leaning towards the look of the black ones, but I dunno. What do you think? Also, how will that third brake light look if I get the black ones? Is there an easy way to black that out a bit to match? I don't hate the stock tails like some folks do, but a change would be good and the LEDs are cool.

2) I decided my Gibson flame exhaust tip is kinda ghetto/beaner (see bottom image waaay below of it on my truck). I like the stock exhaust, and no one makes a split dual system for the 6.2L yet anyway (I think). I would like to just put on a Magnaflow rolled / dual wall 15 degree tip, but they do not make a 3.5"-4" or whatever-out-size tip. Should I go with another Gibson 3.5"-to-4" tip, but clean, straight like this one?

gibson_round_tip.jpg

OR, should I get a 3.5" to 4" adapter and get a 4"-to5" Magnaflow clamp-on tip like this one? I like the rolled 15-degree look.

35184.jpg

This MBRP tip seems really nice too (and it comes in 3.5" to 4"):

T5102.jpg

3) I'm thinking about a Mcgaughey's 2"/3" drop kit (I know I can do better on pricing than Summitt Racing's price). Do you think it'd look cool without being too "ghetto-sled" with the stock rims? I think the part number is 30009, but it does not mention AWD (i.e. Denali). I guess I'll call them directly and ask, unless one of you guys has done a 2"/3" drop on an '07/'08 Denali (AWD) and knows that it works without hosing up the autoride and other suspension.

4) Anyone have some mad Photoshop skills and can simulate a 2/3 drop on either image of my truck here? Bonus points if you can add in the black tails and the MBRP exhaust tip! :thumbsup:

img1435bpt8.jpg

Thanks to all in advance for your feedback!!!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were to change the tailights, which I think you should go with the red ones, the black ones, in my opinion, wouldn't go well with the color of your denali. As far as the exhaust tip the mbrp one is definately the way to go. And finally I wouldn't go with the drop, I think your truck looks sick without one, and for the money you would be better off getting bigger rims (if your into that). Thats just my 2 cents of course, its your truck so whatever you think is best is the way to go!! :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Both tails look good, but I think the red tails would go better with the color of your truck, IMHO. And I like the MBRP tip better than the other two.
I like your truck BTW:thumbsup:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas!

Thanks guys!

1) After looking at things and messing around a bit in Paint Shop Pro (I suck at it BTW), you're all three right -- the red definitely looks better. The only concern I have is one I'd definitely have with the black tails anyway -- matching the third brake light. I can do that with some Nightshade VHT if I can get the cover off, or maybe my brother-in-law who runs a tint shop can help me out... Any other suggestions on matching it? (The IPCW red tails seem a bit darker, noticeably.) Ordering the ruby red tails tomorrow.

2) The MBRP tip is my favorite as well! Ordering T5102 tip tomorrow.

3)
I think I would like a 2/3 drop, but I'm gonna hold off on this one for now. My wife will kill me for sure -- I'll already have lots of explaining to do when she sees the tails and the new tip! :D

4) I'll post some real pics when I get this stuff done... I also just put on some lower chrome mirror covers, so I'll include those too. Yay, this is fun! :clapping:

Thanks guys for the compliments and the advice -- I appreciate it!!!

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you already made up your mind on the tip, but I highly suggest the MBRP as well. I run their duals on my DMAX and the dual wall angle cut without the rolled edge is the way to go. BTW, I think the picture you have is of the 4" to 5" tip. High quality product!

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can ya take some pics of tails at nite. Curious as to how they look. I am leaning towards those same lamps only in Black or Smoke. Where are ya getting them from....Coolights.com?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope -- Getting them through my bro-in-law who runs that tint shop. His bosses are at SEMA this week, so he's running their other shop. Translation: sweet deals for me! :D $250 for the tails. $60.00 for the tip. (Shipping is included...)

Yeah, I'll definitely post some pics after I get stuff installed -- I'm looking forward to these items. The red ones will give it a nice custom look and they're not gaudy/flashy. ;)

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discountpowerparts.com has the mbrp tip for $54.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice price............:yesnod:

Yup, thanks!

discountpowerparts.com has the mbrp tip for $54.

Good deal, I wonder if they charge $15+ for shipping like some of those eBay dudes? Anyway, I already ordered it thru my bro-in-law (go with someone I trust, ya know?), and I don't even have to pay until I pick up the parts (or he brings them by or whatever). It's nice to have a hook-up!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAP! Freakin' Fedex.

Well, I got my parts this evening, and the MBRP tip looks like a great product, but it apparently was unable to withstand the crushing power of the Fedex truck that drove over it. Inlet lip of the tip was bent, and side of taper is dented in. Looks 1000% better than the Gibson tip, but I'm bummed I can't put it on this weekend! :cuss:

My source is working on getting a replacement. :cool:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the LED tails, I'm seriously considering the red LEDs for my Tahoe. But for your Denali, the black/smoke LEDs match well w/ your paint and the rear quarter pillar (just above the tail light). That's just my opinion. :yesnod:

Last edited:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my parts this evening, and the MBRP tip looks like a great product, but it apparently was unable to withstand the crushing power of the Fedex truck that drove over it. Inlet lip of the tip was bent, and side of taper is dented in. Looks 1000% better than the Gibson tip, but I'm bummed I can't put it on this weekend! :cuss:

My source is working on getting a replacement. :cool:

Man, that REALLY SUCKS!!! I would be sooo hot!!! :mad2:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the LED tails, I'm seriously considering the red LEDs for my Tahoe. But for your Denali, the black/smoke LEDs matches well w/ your paint and the rear quarter pillar (just above the tail light). That's just my opinion. :yesnod:

Thanks. That's what I thought too until I "mocked it up" with Paint Shop Pro. The red ones definitely looked better, even with the black ones and a blacked-out third brake light. It looked funny, like a checkerboard design -- too much black on the back. Now, if my truck was black / silver / white, then yeah definitely...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IPCW Ruby Red LED taillights installed.

Man, these lights look nice. I think they look much more "distinguished" than the stock "triple nipple" design... :giggling: I will be posting some night pics shortly, and daytime photos tomorrow.

Installation was a snap - plug-n-play with the factory harness. The only semi-annoying thing was figuring out how the tails are removed (a little nerve-wracking just yanking them out after removing the two retaining screws, heh). And, the plastic circular retainer pin "sockets" came out with the tails. No biggie; I just carefully popped them off the tail pins and pushed them back into the rear quarter panel mounting holes. The whole replacement process look less than 20 minutes.

The new lights have built-in load resistors, so the turn signals and hazards flash correctly. The brake-lights are the inner-most row of LEDs in the housing, the turns are the outer-most row of LEDs, and they look pretty cool. The stock lights have an incandescent side marker that does not get used on the IPCW lights, so I just pulled the bulbs from the sockets, and tucked the sockets into a safe place in the back of the housing. The new lights have that same side-marker, but it's an LED powered by the two other connections. No problems with cruise control, everything works as expected (completely normal behavior).

Going to take some pics now (well, after I eat a late dinner).

Last edited:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, can't wait for the pics!!! Make sure you get some w/ regular lights on, brakes on, and maybe signal'ing... I know, I know...I'm high maintenance like that!!! :excited: -- @ least when it comes to hookin' up the ride...

I've been eye-ballin' those same lights now for weeks... They bring such a classier look to the rear of the 'Hoe that it deserves, I think... :yesnod: Just haven't had time to go down to the pro shop and see if they have them in stock -- "BIG BOYS TOYS of NY"... I'd rather purchase and have merchandise in hand than wait for ordering online... :thumbsup:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems with cruise control, everything works as expected (completely normal behavior).

Why did you specifically mention cruise control? How do tail lights affect the cruise control? Or am I just being stupid??? :confused2: