Lost Cruise Control - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Odd.

Discovered that if I turn on my cruise and try and set it, it's dead. No indicator on the dash, nothing, nada.

I did find the 10 amp fuse on the left side of the console and it's fine, so I'm a little baffled where to look next as I'd rather avoid the time dropping it at the dealer if I don't have to.

Any thoughts??

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Check the fuse for your rear lighting, particulary the brake lights. If that fuse is blown, it will also cause the cc not to work.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Interesting, in that I did change out my rear lights from OEM to the LED's that everyone is finding on eBay and I did initially blow out my L & R fuse, but the lights are working. Possibly there is another fust that I missed.

Thanks for the advise, I'll go on the hunt as soon as I get home from work.

There must be a relation here to all this so I'm hoping a fuse.

jasper10101010

Reaction score
switch back

I bought this truck used...cruise never worked...Taillights looked odd, so checked them, they were LED. I swapped them out and the cruise works now. I know there is a fix...just not sure what it is.:thumbsup:

Jason

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The rear lighting module might not see a load with the LEDs. If this is the case, then the cc module won't operate. You can try a couple load resistors and see if that helps.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I wrote first that I was not sure what this was, but just googled it and it makes sense. I found where you can buy a 6 ohm 50 watt load resistor to help the vehicle think you have a regular bulb and possibly you hit the nail on the head and that is what I need.

What I will say confuses me is why would the cruise control be related in any way to the rear lights working or not working?

It makes sense as it does not and I put in the LED units, but I still have to scratch my head and ask why there is something related between the two??

Last edited:

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Might have found it, but the crazy way I did this, I don't know.

I know when I put in my new LED lights in the back I blew out a few fuses, but thought I got them all, possibly not.

I just went through the entire fuse panel in the engine area and the dash and methodically just pulled out all the 10 amps, checked them, put them all back, then pulled all the 15, checked, and back. Long story short, found one 15 amp blown on the dash panel that I think was "rear" but not sure as I pull out all the 15's at one time, check them and then whatever is empty gets a 15 back. Never hurts and I find it more thorugh than a meter one at a time.

I'm hoping the 15 amp was the culprit and I should know tomorrow if I can get out and test the truck on the way to work. Much easier then messing with a load resistor if I don't have to.

Thanks for the advice, I'll advise when I know more.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali depends on the 3rd brake light to tell the CC to turn off when you put on the brakes (for when you want to slow down instead of the cruise control keeping you at the speed it is set at), when the CC wasn't working, neither was the 3rd brake light, didn't make sense to me at first either until I thought about it a little. Go through EVERY fuse in your truck, it's crazy what circuits piggyback off of others.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
GOT IT! Thanks to JK!!

After pulling every fuse in both fuse compartments just as a safety to check everything, I mentioned above that I found a 15 amp blown, though not exactly sure what that went to.

This morning, cruise lit back up fine and by the way, this is WITH the LED's that everyone has bought off that eBay vendor!

wannabefastss

Reaction score
its has to be link so that when you hit your brakes w/the cruise on the cruise shuts off or goes to coast until you resume. with that in mind your brake lights don't light up until you apply the brake pedal.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
That would make sense.

It's a bit like when I looked at putting in the LED lights and the fact that I have the Tahoe rigged for RV towing. I wanted to hook up the LED lights to the tow light supply, but it feeds back through so much stuff it would be a nightmare.

What you said makes sense and would explain it and come to think about it, I do think it was the 3rd light that blew the fuse.