Lower it or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to get your opinion...Should I go with a lowering kit or not. Right now the tire size is 305/35r24. I will be taking the tahoe on the beach in North Carlonia in the summer. Also Big Brake upgrade or plus 1 rotor kit? Oh I also found the chrome trim from the white diamond edition on ebay for 35$ they have 3 left. New pict will be posted.

Attachments

• lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 40

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont like lowered (for me) but in your case with those rims and your setup i would go with it!

think it would look great...

dont know about the whole big brake thing but i would go with that too! haha

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Nice truck:thumbsup:. I vote for lowering it. From a couple of your other posts, sounds like you're close to rubbing as is, so maybe a 2/3. I dropped mine 3/5, but it's an 01 and trimmed slightly here and there, so not sure how much of a difference there is with wheel well space on yours.
A complete big brake kit will definitely work better than just a bigger rotor. A bigger rotor will dissipate heat faster and stay cooler, thus less brake fade. But this doesn't offer as much stopping power as a big brake kit upgrade since the surface area from the pads trying to stop the rotor is the same. I upgraded 2" on my rotor size and bigger multi-piston calipers. BIG difference. You'll be much more impressed and happier with a complete kit.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower it, but don't slam it. You'll be rubbing everything with those wheels. My Pedders drop was perfect! Lots of recent threads on lowering on this site. I dropped mine with Pedders springs on Friday and the ride actually improved. Click the Pedders link in my signature. Tell them Ken sent you.

the pedders man

Reaction score
i want to get your opinion...Should I go with a lowering kit or not. Right now the tire size is 305/35r24. I will be taking the tahoe on the beach in North Carlonia in the summer. Also Big Brake upgrade or plus 1 rotor kit? Oh I also found the chrome trim from the white diamond edition on ebay for 35$ they have 3 left. New pict will be posted.

Lower IT....Frank

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jamey,

Still thinking about lowering it? Check out my Pedders review here:

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?p=41712#post41712

Should give a nice drop without excessive rubbing. The Pedders drop looks great, but its definately not slammed. Plus the ride is awsome.

This is not a sales pitch and I'm not affliated with Pedders in any way. I just love my Pedders gear!

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about taking it out on the beach at OBX? If so, I wouldn't lower it if I were you.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I would not hesitate to take my z71 Suburban with the Pedders drop on to the beach. Once again, the drop is not too extreme, and I still have a generous amount of ground clearance. While I would not attempt traversing a bunch of dunes, cruising the beach should not be a problem. Jamey should actually gain a small amount of ground clearance over mine with his taller 24in tires.

Last edited:

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly too, I just thought of this....If your rims were expensive, (I'm sure they were) in my opinion, it isn't even worth driving out on the sand with nice chrome wheels. Those bad boys will rust. Trust me, I have been out there and its happened to me. Just my 2 cents.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those big rims it will look good lowered.

+1 on the big break kit.

+1 on chrome rim on the beach = pitting or rust... Was that off right away!

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too worried about the rust, I normally clean the rims a few times a week when i am at the beach house, plus i can get these rime for about 300 each since i am in the wheel and tire business. I am just worried about the ground clearence when i am driving on the beach. Its kinda deep at times, depends on the ruts, i never drive on the dines, way illegal in NC, good way to go to jail for a night. If the peddles drop kit is easy to install i could just take it off beofre I go to the beach house. I checked out the like you provided, can i just call them and get them to package it all together for me? Kinda surprised that they dont have it like that already. Thanks for the great info. Looks like a great kit, now i just need more options for the Brakes. No one is making many options for the new tahoes.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also running 24" and I just paid for a 2/3 kit from a forum member.. I cant wait to get them installed..

thanks mike!

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Frank the Pedders Man can probably package the front strut and springs together. If he does, it will be totally easy to install. The hardest part is compressing the springs for dismantling/installing. Not too sure you would want to be switching your suspension back and forth though. It would probably still take a couple of guys two hours at least. Also your alignment would need to be adjusted each time unless you wanted to eat your tires. I'm sure a Pedders equipped Tahoe could probably traverse most everything at the beach if you're careful.

Pehaps Frank can chime in on his ability to package those parts together. Frank?

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to look into the new struts that way i can have the whole assembly that way i can just swap it all out. I have my own shop with an alignment machine so it wont be too hard, plus with in ground lifts. I will call them up and see what i can get. Thanks for all the help

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, if you've got all that I say go for it! You could probably get the whole procedure down to an hour! Must be nice to have all that stuff. My dad and I did everything with a jack, 2 stands, and manual spring compressors!

Last edited:

the pedders man

Reaction score
Well I am going to look into the new struts that way i can have the whole assembly that way i can just swap it all out. I have my own shop with an alignment machine so it wont be too hard, plus with in ground lifts. I will call them up and see what i can get. Thanks for all the help

I can ship the whole strut and spring all together.....frank

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sooo.. my truck is getting the 2/3 McGauhys kit installed as we speak.. I should be picking her up within 30-40 minutes......... :thumbsup:

Last edited: