Mod done to Tailights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. This is something I did over the weekend. I've been wanting to do something to my stock tailights, not liking the orange section. So with some transparent candy apple red model paint, I painted the orange section red. Came out looking good. Cell phone pics. It looks better in person.

Attachments

• 234722213765_0_1.jpg
    234722213765_0_1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 234722272901_0_1.jpg
    234722272901_0_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 31

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it do to the color when they light up, does it show through yellow still or do you now have red turn signals?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im curious about the turn signals as well... but it looks way better, if copper&black hadnt sold me his tails for me to paint i was trying to figure out a way to turn the amber turn signal orange! Huge Improvment.... its definetly cool because you notice that it looks better and sharp but most people wouldnt know why

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone else; they look much better than stock imo.

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments. The turn signals light up red, no hint of orange in them. Best of all, this was a free mod!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments. The turn signals light up red, no hint of orange in them. Best of all, this was a free mod!

Since turn signals are usually orange or amber are there any legal issues if they light up red?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since turn signals are usually orange or amber are there any legal issues if they light up red?

for sure not... you can buy tails with red turn signals... not to mention the many cars you can buy with red turn signals... Corvette for instance

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just painted right over em?? no gettin rid of the orange?

did you sand and clearcoat em?

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the tails off, used 600 grit and wet sanded them. After, cleaned them and masked off the rest of the taillights. Put down about 3-4 coats of transparent candy apple red (or until they looked about the right amount of red) then set aside to dry off. That was it, smooth and shiny.

CoyB

Reaction score

it is ok to have red turns in the rear, just not the front. you can not have any red or blue lights in the front.