??? Molding Glue Removal ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I'm looking to strip the side moldings off my truck. I have taken off a piece as a test. I was able to get the molding off easy, but the adhesive/double sided tape is impossible hard to get off. I tried every adhesive/glue/tape/sticker remover that I could get my hands on. What can I use?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I'm looking to strip the side moldings off my truck. I have taken off a piece as a test. I was able to get the molding off easy, but the adhesive/double sided tape is impossible hard to get off. I tried every adhesive/glue/tape/sticker remover that I could get my hands on. What can I use?

I have used WD-40 to remove sticky adhesives. It seems to break down the glue very well. Give it a try.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you clean your paint really well afterwards and rewax it.

i pulled mine off on a hot summer day in direct sunlight. it will actually just roll off with some pressure. ended up with a blistered thumb, but hey the hoe looked good.

you may also try a heat gun.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you clean your paint really well afterwards and rewax it.

i pulled mine off on a hot summer day in direct sunlight. it will actually just roll off with some pressure. ended up with a blistered thumb, but hey the hoe looked good.

you may also try a heat gun.

I did the same on my Caprice, I blistered both thumbs, they hurt for days after.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give this a try. I tried WD-40 and the tape/glue just laughed at that.......

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, lol. I've never tried to remove the side moldings and didn't know what kind of adhesive they used for them.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, lol. I've never tried to remove the side moldings and didn't know what kind of adhesive they used for them.

It's cool, I am up to trying anything until I get the glue off. LOL

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget to post pics when you got it all off and if you start a new thread for the pics please post a link to it in this thread

It's cool, I am up to trying anything until I get the glue off. LOL

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Link to Molding removal
Remember I mentioned using an eraser wheel.. didn't touch the clearcoat, took the glue off with little effort, and a gentle wash and wax afterward made it untracable.
sjdiscounttools_1984_90172866

botomgun

Reaction score
I used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover for the left side, decided it was too much work and used 3M Glue and Adhesive remover for the right side. Much easier. The 3M is more expensive, but the time saved was worth it. As stated above a little wash and wax really cleans up any traces left. I didn't have an eraser wheel, but that looks like a good route....

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered an eraser wheel. I'll post photos when I'm done. thanks for all those who replied.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover for the left side, decided it was too much work and used 3M Glue and Adhesive remover for the right side. Much easier.
Perhaps it was the 10+ years spent in Ohio year round, snow, salt, humid heated summers, etc. but I had tried Goo Gone,3M adhesive remover, 3m Glue and adhesive remover, as well as two other 'knock-offs' that I had luck with in the past.. I think it was due to the foam tape rather than like a 'sticker' type residue. Great for you if it worked, I tried those routes all before going with the eraser wheel route.. lots of dust (well.. eraser drippings, just like a pencil) but it worked great.

Bigblack, one other word of advice.. keep an eye on the wheel and move often.. when it really heats up, you can burn into the clear coat. I've done that, although it was on a plastic bumper :ktoe: Again, just a precautionary note.:cool:

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This from the guy who posted "Testing" in my other thread for seemingly no reason. [confused][/head scratching]

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot about the wheels, car quest carries them in stock. the eraser residue will be everywhere when your done as well.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but it rinses off everything, it isn't sticky or abrasive or anything. Easy wash-off.