Need Advice ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsgbdragnframe

Reaction score
I went to look at geting my first tahoe a couple days ago, it's a 98 tahoe with tan leather interior, 5.7L, 172,000 miles, 4x4, tow package, it run's good and looks good but when you give it gas theres a ticking noise, it doesnt do it when idling, also when you give it gas the oil pressure goes up alittle.. what should i pay for this? or should i find something els? Thank's

shadytahoe

Reaction score
Could be a number of thing. Could be lifter or valve could even just need an oil change. As for the oil pressure going up thats normal unless there is an oil pressure problem which could also cause a ticking noise.

shadytahoe

Reaction score
I agree you shouldnt hear a ticking noise. But the things that i listed could make a ticking noise come from the motor.

Last edited:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nail in the tire??? when you hear the ticking try giving it more gas and see if the noise goes away or if it speeds up

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
A leaking header gasket will cause a ticking noise, most noticeable when you give it gas and the motor is under load. Check that out. Simple fix. Lifters will usually be heard throughout the rpm range with no load and while under load.

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A leaking header gasket will cause a ticking noise, most noticeable when you give it gas and the motor is under load. Check that out. Simple fix. Lifters will usually be heard throughout the rpm range with no load and while under load.

Im with JK on the gasket, for a quick inspection please look for carbon or exhaust type deposits around the headers.

Two times I have has a tick under the hood, once was a non conforming gasket on the exhaust header. The other tick I had was an odd one, the plastic elbow that leads into my PCV had cracked-the line was sucking fresh air and air thru the PC valve similtaneously (abc spellcheck...) causing it to cycle rapidly like shaking a can of spray paint noise. This also triggered a check engine light on my 'hoe.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ticking as well. and I know its the header leaking at the connection to the connector pipe.