Need an Oil Change, What Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright so this weekend im gonna have to change my oil. right now it has castrol GTX in it. it has about 113,000 miles right now. what are your suggestions on what oils. also im not totally sure what my budget it is so prices would be great.

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are people in here that could give you better answers, but I personally have always been a fan of synthetic oil. I just put Mobile 1 10W-30 in my Hoe. As for prices, it definitely isn't the cheapest oil ($20/5qt?), but it's definitely worth it! Why go cheap on something so important?

Armycop

Reaction score
oil

I use Valvoline synthetic extended life in my 01 Yukon with 106k miles. 10-30 weight is just fine. No need to be popping for expensive oils. No drips, runs or leaks.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple in mine. I think it's a little more spendy than other synthetics but if you believe their data it seems to spec out better, last longer, but then of course they are trying to sell the stuff. If you want to check them out here's the RP web site http://www.royalpurple.com/ and an online store for purchases http://www.rpmoil.com/

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Change

Synthetic is a no brainer, there are alot of different synthetic petrolium products to choose from. Mobile 1 is a popular oil @ approx $5.50 per qt.
I prefer Royal Purple, sure it cost more @ 7.00 per qt so for $9.00 extra I go 1st class. you should be putting in 5W - 30.
Remember you only get what you pay for, and when your cruizin over 100K dont you think a couple extra bucks is worth getting you another 100K.
You figure thats 3 Starbucks, or a couple brewskis at your local gin joint.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5w-30? btw how many quarts do our trucks take? and does Royal Purple sell filters? and if so which one. im not to sure where to find that info for our trucks.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 10-30 and I live where there are cold winters. As far as RP filters, I don't remember, surf around on their site and see what you can find. If you have any questions I've always found their tech support guys to be more than happy to exchange a few emails to help you answer your questions.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i figured that through the math. what is the part number on the filter?

edit: im gonna probably go with the amsoil asl 5w-30 since my dad has an account with them for our construction equipment and trucks, and he is buying about 16-18 quarts for his 7.3 powerstroke. so ill get my oil and filter for free :)

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Not sure if the sale is still going, but my local Autozone had a killer deal last week on Valvoline full synthetic. 5 qts synthetic and a Fram Tough Gaurd oil filter for $19.95. Usually the oil runs just over $6/qt. I picked up a few, went back and picked up a few more.
Amsoil and Royal Purple are probably the best synthetics out there, as well as Mobil 1. Valvoline and Castrol synthetics were at the top of the charts also in recent tests I looked at.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil is good sh*t, I run royal purple and k&n filters because I get a hell of a deal on them at work but you will notice a difference when you switch to a good synthetic.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the royal purple :)
I also have this on my truck incase i'm out of town and the wife decides to take my truck to get an oil change

cap_label_p.jpg

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Engine Oil Filler Cap
# 12555685 ---------gmpartsdirect.com $6.12

Mobil 1 Engine Label
# 10236268 gmpartdirect.com $13.46

On ebay you can get them cheaper and in crome if you want

poncherello

Reaction score
There is no reason to spend the extra money to put synthetic oil in a vehicle that didn't come from the factory with it. I buy whatever happens to be on sale when I'm ready to change it. I have owned dozens of vehicles over the years and have never had an oil related problem or failure. When my Tahoe DIC shows 10% of life remaining, I change the oil.

BTW, the 3000 mile oil change is a big myth. I routinely go 7500+ miles before changes. When I had my corvette and SRT8 Charger I changed the oil once a year. I'd drive them less than 3000 miles per year. My current daily driver, 2000 Chrysler 300M, has 169,000 miles without a hint of problems. I recently changed the oil in it after 9500 miles, wasn't even one drop low when I drained it. I put NAPA brand 10-30 in it. Heck that car still has the original headlight bulbs and battery after 8 years. :D

Stick with dino oil nad look for a sale. :thumbsup:

wilb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 (full synthetic 5w30). Last week Advanced autoparts had 5qts + filter for about $26- HELL OF A DEAL! You may need 1 additional quart though. I run Valvoline MaxLife in my Infiniti SUV as it has about 134k miles.(regular 5w30)