******please Help, Car Wont Start. Security Light On*****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for clicking into my thread.

I am hoping to find some help quick, as this is my only car and I have to get to work on Monday :(

Anyways, I went to my truck today to take my daughter to the park. Keep in mind that I just drove the truck about 45 min prior and there was no problems.

Anyways, Prior to me starting the car, I noticed that the amber security light information center light was flashing. That, and the LED for my on star was red :confused:

I went to go start the truck, and it just turns over...but doesn't stay on. I can turn it over, and over... but it just wont stay on :(

To me, it almost seems as if it is not getting any fuel. However, the constant security on light almost leans me towards an electrical problem of some sort.

So, I am posting here...hoping that someone out there can help me.

The crappy part about all of this is, I just bought the truck less than a month ago and haven't even made my first payment :confused:

Please someone, anyone... help me. It will be very much appreciated!! :)

The truck is a 2002, GMC Yukon 4 x 4... BTW, i have already tried to jump start the car (as a last resort cause It does not seem like a dead battery at all)

Thank you very much :thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.

2.) Observer that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.

3.) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'OFF' position).

4.) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for at least 11 minutes.

5.) Turn key to 'OFF' position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.

6.) Repeat steps 1-5 for 3 cycles.

7.) On 4th attempt, your car should now start.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean that the cops have at least 34.5 minutes to find him before he speeds away? :lol:

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Wow, so fast. Thank you.

I tried the above already. However, Only for one cycle. Did not know that it was required to do it 3 times.

Thank you. One additional note. My key does not have a chip in it. Because, when I bought it.. I went to home depot to get a copy made. I was wondering if this matters at all for the above remedy?

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Thanks for your help man!

Whats up with this sh*t then? Why would it just randomly do this?

The reason I ask is, Cause will it happen just randomly when I am at the store or something? Is it something that I can get fixed so it does not happen again?

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
oh yea, another thing.

When I did the turn on to the on position, and leave it for 10 min thing.... The security thing does not stay on the whole time.. It just rotates through the regular "battery" Oil level low" "door ajar" "security" Thing.. IS this normal too?

Sorry for so many questions. :lol:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically the security relearn is required when making a change to one of the control modules in the truck (bcm, pcm, etc) or when the electrical system has been altered (new battery, new alternator, new computer tune, etc). Shouldn't be a reoccurring issue but if so I'd take the truck in and have them diagnose another possible issue (poor harness grounding, non-conductive battery terminals, loose wiring, positive grounding, etc).

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
To reset the passlock system in the gm trucks, you only need to leave the key in the ign position for 10 mins, turn off, then start. This will reset the passlock system. The keys don't have a resistor pellet nor transponder in the key. The resistor pellet the bcm reads is in the ignition cylinder instead.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also try blowing some compressed air (if you have a dryer) right into the ignition switch. Caned air works also. I tried all kinds of stuff on my 01 only to find that 7 years of crud had built up in the ignition switch and the GM PASSLOCK 2 System wasn’t reading that the key was in there. Chip or not, it needs to know that key is there or the security light will come on and it will fire for about 2 seconds and die. Even if this is not it on yours, it takes about 5 seconds and its free if you have the air…..

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Thanks Oneradride, and JK MOtorsports... I will try your methods now too.

Needless to say, I tried the turn off and on thing for about 4 cycles, and had no luck last night.

Thanks again!

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the EXACT same issue when I went back to the states on leave this last August....it WAS the fuel pump...had to have OnStar tow the truck there (for free)...they replaced the bad fuel pump..and BAM! Back in business! =)

looks like you might need to find an atlernative ride come Monday though..sorry to say..

Goodluck! Keep us posted

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
But, do you really think that it could be the fuel pump if it just so happened to be that the security light turned on and wont turn off since this issue had arise? I think that it is too much of a coincidence once this happened.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

One thing that has me most concerned is, will this be covered under warrantee?

Because, I know that technically speaking... A dealership warranties their used cars 100% for at least 30 days after the purchase and then, after that... only certain things are covered. Like inside lubricated parts etc....

I'm thinking that the dealership is going to try and pull some technicality bull shiet and try to say, well its been 34 days so we wont cover it and you have to pay. What would you do if you were in my position and they tried to say something like that?

Thanks again for everyones help once again! :)

BTW, I just got back from trying the 10 min thing that JK motorsports recommended, and the compressed air method from oneradride.... Still no luck :( ... thanks nonetheless!!! :)

I just dont want to be late on Monday :( I hate to be late

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea..thats what Im sayin too...the security light was on mine..everything yours is doing..is the EXACT same thing mine did...My step dad was going to drive my truck to the airport so when I landed in Cali, I could have my truck right then and there...and thats when it messed up...and he thought it was a security issue...he couldnt figure it out....its all part of the truck being "smart"...when the fuel pump goes bad, security features kick in and dont let you start the truck to drive it...so you dont do damage to anything from starving the vehicle of fuel. Thats why my security light was on and my Stepdad couldnt start it.

As for the dealership...yea...they are usually *******s...and will try to fvck you over...only thing you can do is go up there and talk to them nicely...if they are going to screw you over...because of 4 days, you dont need to do business with them anymore...I'd talk to the GMC Rep. if it gets ugly..usually they are understanding and will try to help the customer as much as possible.

Correct me if Im wrong..(I dont remember what they said when they replaced mine)..but arent fuel pumps covered for a certain amount of miles?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passlock system will kill power to the fuel pump. Disconnect the negative terminal, get in the truck and turn the key to run and hit the brake. This will discharge any residual power in the system. Hook up the negative and again and give it a shot. If that doesn’t work your pump could be bad but I agree, that’s quite a coincidence. Is the security light still coming on after blowing out the ignition cylinder?

Last edited:

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
The passlock system will kill power to the fuel pump. Disconnect the negative terminal, get in the truck and turn the key to run and hit the brake. This will discharge any residual power in the system. Hook up the negative and again and give it a shot. If that doesn’t work your pump could be bad but I agree, that’s quite a coincidence. Is the security light still coming on after blowing out the ignition cylinder?

Yes Sir, even after turning on the car and turning it off (After attempting to start it) The security light just keeps on flashing,

Weird scenario, quite stumped on this one. Damn Chevrolet dealership by my house is good for nothing too. Because they think it has something to do with the electrical system, and they said none of that is covered under warranty :crazy:

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
Ok Guys, well here is the scenario...

Went to Chevrolet this morning, at first the service department manager was a d!ck, he just kept saying no. Even though I would mention that it has only been 30 something days, he just kept saying NO.

Anyways, I took it upon myself to contact the used car manager. I pleaded my case to him, and he smiled at me and said "those guys" (while shaking his head)

Well, long story short, he agreed to cover the repairs.

Anyways, I got a call from the repair section manager guy just now and he said it was the battery :confused: I said that this could not be possible, because we tried to jump it, and used a SNAP ON portable jump pack (Brand Spanking new in packaging) and it did the same thing. He said that the truck has no codes, and when they ran the scanner on it, it only said that the battery was dead.

Does this make sense to you?

Why would the security light be on then? DOn't you think that if it was the battery, then at least it would jump it... and the alternator would take over after wards?

Anyways, He said if I would like... I can leave it there over night, and he will continue to test it. ***From the sound of his voice, it sounded like he was just feeding me BS just to get off the phone***

Anyways, what would you guys do in my case? If he said that they fired it up about 12 times, with no issues... and it was the battery, would you trust them?

Would you really leave your car there over night? Whatcha think? :lol:

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!