Rear defroster wire broke off ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill.moulton

Reaction score
I have a 2008 LT3. The other day I notice that the metal tang on the rear window that the defroster wire pluges into came off the window. Has anyone
tried to just soldering these back on or does it need to go in ?

finman

Reaction score
i have had that issue on my 2007 yukon xl. i had to take it back to the dealer twice.

Fin

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was soldered for a repair and it came off again so they gave me a new glass.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try stretching the coiled wire so that it's not putting any tension on the soldered tab connection. I noticed that the newer ones come that way.

If you're out of warranty, try the defroster grid repair kit which uses a conductive epoxy.

Hulz07Tahoe

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. I'm beyond my warranty so no free fix for me. I stretched the other side out and that one has stayed on so far. I really want the rear defroster working again!

73shark - is the "defroster grip repair kit which uses conductive epoxy" something I can only get from a dealer?

jweezy

Reaction score
Service bulletin for this

Mine was soldered for a repair and it came off again so they gave me a new glass.

Exactly, there is a service bulletin on this issue. The wires are coiled to tautly.
Had mine soldered at one dealership, it broke a week later. went to another dealership they gave me new glass and stretched the cords respectively.

cadyshac

Reaction score
I just bought a '08 Tahoe from a Chevy dealer, we noticed the wire was broken off on the passenger side. The dealer said no problem we will solder it back on. I informed him of the service bulletin and now he is saying the bulletin also says to solder it back on. In rare cases the glass may break during soldering and then they would replace the glass. Does this sound right? I only have 12 months warranty and want to get it fixed right the first time.

jweezy

Reaction score
I just bought a '08 Tahoe from a Chevy dealer, we noticed the wire was broken off on the passenger side. The dealer said no problem we will solder it back on. I informed him of the service bulletin and now he is saying the bulletin also says to solder it back on. In rare cases the glass may break during soldering and then they would replace the glass. Does this sound right? I only have 12 months warranty and want to get it fixed right the first time.

Soldering the connector back onto the glass strips can work fine.
The ISSUE is the Wires on each side. They need to be stretched and periodically re-stretched. The coiling is to taught. The coiling actually would have been fine if the manufacture made the cords 2-3 inches longer!
That's the true fix longer cords. So have them stretched or do it yourself, give em a tug and remember to do this I'd say every time you change your oil.:Whoa: