Removing inner door panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying to remove the inner door panel (the one that is upholstered, and runs along the door and wraps around the handle) do I need to take off the entire door panel or can that piece come off separately? Either way, how is the removal done?

Thanks, Dan

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually that part does not come off seperatly. Only way to find out is to carefully get somthing inbetween the molding and see it will pop out of the clips. sorry i cant tell you for sure.
i just know that with my 95's panel, the whole piece comes off as one.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to squeeze a finger in between and see if it would just pop out but it doesn't look like thats the case. Sounds like I have to take off the entire panel, does anyone know how to do this? Any tools required? Where do I start the removal?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this what you are trying to take off?

Attachments

• Chevy_Door_Panel_Camo.jpg
    Chevy_Door_Panel_Camo.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 29

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start with the traingular (upper extention) peice in the corner near your side mirror.
then take the panel behind your handle out. take the handle out (yes it is required to do so) then pop out the door/window switch panel using a screw driver and disconnect the wire harness. then the manual lock lever using a flat screw driver. then all of the trim panel screws.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a plastic piece that snaps out from behind the door handle that hides two screws?

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scratch that then. i thought your talking about the 2001 style door panel.

this panel has two or three bolts holding it in, and then u have to pull back the whole panel after taking off that triangular piece. and that will expose a bunch of white clips that hold the door panel. theyre a pain in the butt, but just take your time and unclip them one at a time.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of it comes off in 1 piece.
  • Pull that little piece that is circled off
  • take that little bezel off around the door handle the handle does not come off
  • take the 2 screws out of the arm rest
  • then run your finger around under the panel and there is about 12 of the same little things that were holding that little piece on holding the door panel on
  • and when you get all of them off you should be able to pull the door panel up and it should come off
  • I dont know how to get the window switchs off

Attachments

• Chevy_Door_Panel_Camo1.jpg
    Chevy_Door_Panel_Camo1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 24

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, is the procedure the same for the rear doors?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess so but i am not sure considering i only have 2 doors

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the procedure is the same for all the doors.
handle bezel, switches and ( for the front) the triangle piece.
there are 2 screws in the armrest.
buy your self 2 bags of the GM panel fastners from the dealership. I think to redo the whole thing was 28 or 30 of them, I cant remember. mine started to break, and once I tried to get the door off without caring if they broke, it was much easier.

Wheels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is very helpful. would loved to have seen it when i replaced my door handle. had to figure this out the hard way. :D

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did the first door this morning, I probably should have started with a rear door but it's cool, I can always re-do it after. Im not going to lie, it was pretty much a nightmare the whole time. Getting the door panel off was fine, but then I realized the part that i wanted to re-upholster does not come off on its own, that pretty much ruined my entire plan and I had to think of an alternative procedure. I was under the impression that the carpeted piece comes off, in which case all I would do is cut out a piece of fabric, stretch it tight and staple it on the back side. But to my surprise, that piece did not come off. I contemplated bagging the whole idea, but decided to keep going with it. When I start to take the factory fabric off, the foam underneath began to rip, and once the fabric was all off, I had only about 50% of the foam on the door and 50% foam on the fabric. Instead of using a staple gun to do this now I went and bought some spray adhesive, Im not sure how well this will hold up, but time will tell. I just basically laid the 2 pieces out, sprayed and bonded using a rolling pin. Then once dried I sprayed the door and the finished product and bonded those 2 together. I stuff all of the excess into the seam with a tire iron from a bicycle. It seems to be holding up somewhat, but I will probably fix it in the future.

Cliffs:
re-upholstered 1st door
wasn't as expected
got it done
unsatisfied haha

I used black suede from wal-mart.

0105091158ua7.jpg

Corner that I cut too short and doesn't seem to want to tuck in:

0105091158avh6.jpg

Anyone have any idea's or tips to make the rest of the doors easier?