Removing Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to remove the muffler on my 99 tahoe and weld pipes back into place, but was wondering if there will be any bad effects to the truck or performance issues, o yea i will be keeping my cats on. Input would be great, thanks.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so no muffler is going on at all.. your just taking it out and welding a pipe in (the mufflers old place).. is that what i read??i wouldn't think any performance issues, deffently louder.. tell me how it sounds when u do that. i was thinking on the same lines with my truck, just buying i think a 3 inch pipe instead of a 100 muffler..

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i did that with mine, i actually left the muffler, and just cut the pipes, and then got flanges for when i wanted to hook it back up - i can say this.. ITS LOUD! and you get that bad Popping sound when slowing down, or letting off the gas.. my dads opinnion on this is that it will eventually warp the valves.. but, i always thought it was ok as long as the cats where on.. i don't know it didn't hurt mine, but mine wasn't like that for very long at all

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its loud.. i mean it doesn't purr, its just plain loud.. and around here, if i drove 30 min in either direction (all the towns around my town) i would get a ticket for a noise violation

jnbqm9

Reaction score
Depending on how you set it up, you could gain power or lose power. I'm not quite sure how much of an effect you'll see either way. The engines are designed to run at a set back pressure because the engineers design them with cats and mufflers in mind. "Mufflers" like glass packs (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm) reduce this back pressure and supposedly improve performance. However, if you install "dumps" before your cats, you can actually reduce your performance because the engine and headers aren't designed to run at such a low back pressure. It needs some sort of resistance to operate optimally. I know, it's counter intuitive.

Now, that being said, if you replace everything from your headers back with high flow components, you'll aleviate the differences in the system and get much better performance.

I know I gave you a longer answer than you were looking for but let me summarize with this: If you remove your muffler and keep your cats, you should not have any performance issues (other than your ears!) and maybe even notice an increase in performance. If you want to get rid of your cats and back, I would suggest looking into high flow components for your entire exhaust or at least your headers.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha loosing my ears.. lol.. yeah im looking for that, but i want a mean kitty, not no pus5y 5hit.. lol..

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another idea. Keep the mufflers and add cutouts. I found electric cutouts that are perfect. When they open, there is just a 3" hole with no obstructions.

The dump tubes are just ahead of the axle and are out of sight so the Police have to look hard to find them.

The electric cutouts are sold by Moon Eyes

Best of both worlds. Loud when you want, quiet when you need it.

Attachments

• Extra Disc 3 283.jpg
    Extra Disc 3 283.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Extra Disc 1 090.jpg
    Extra Disc 1 090.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5

ramz

Reaction score
you can go with a regular flowmaster , and 3 inch pipe. i have a suburban thats what i have . you could gain power,and right now some fuel economy .well u might spend more cuz ur gonna want to hear the sound your best bet is going with a 50 series flowstrip and suv. have fun

Last edited:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would remove the resonator instaed and leave the muffler

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. Originaly i was planning on going with a flowmaster, but the reason i am considering removing the muffler is because my friend did on his f-150 and it sounded pretty nice. I might look at the cutouts though. It think those might be safer in terms of sound. I will keep you all updated. Also whats the process in removing the resonator?

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its going to be LOUD. I like the thought having electric cutouts installed, that would be really to cool to have. :thumbsup: just my .02....

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are older model yukons/tahoes do not have resonators - just cats and mufflers..

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to get dual flowmaster 40's turning and exiting just before the rear tire...I've heard a 70's chevy with this done and it was way LOUD.

crossing_over

Reaction score
I have straights from the cats back. no muffler. It IS louder. My buddy has the same set up on his 2 door and his exhaust pops alot when he hits the gas. My Hoe is a 4dr and it just rumbles nice and loud with no popping.