Removing rear "step pads"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the garage filled with black vehicles :]
I want to remove the step pad off my Hoe and the Denali to swap since the Denali has the chrome trim. I got as far as pulling out the tabs on the top, but when I pull the pad it's still latched on to the bumper pretty tight. How do I get it completely off?

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to pinch the tabs from underneath with pliers. You may have to remove the bumper cover

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't see the tabs, just one on the far left.

What all do I need to do to remove the bumper cover? I took off 2 screws+1 plastic piece on each side near the wheels, and the 4 that go along it where the liftgate closes. But it won't budge.

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. What does double-taped that mean? :confused:

EDIT: nevermind, I assume you mean double-sided tape but that is not the case. There are clips behind the pad where the chrome piece sits, and tabs on top of the pad where you step. I wish it was tape though, haha.

Last edited:

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are screws behind each of the rear tires amd some in the lift gate area. Then pull out where the bumper and the quarter meets. Then pull straight back.

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MDTAHOE1, I'm having trouble with 2 remaining screws. I removed the 2 behind each rear tire, plus their plastic clips. I also got all of the liftgate area, except the 2 center ones. They are not screws, but actually plastic clips and I can't see under the bumper to get to them. How do I get those off?

Also, I gave it a pull to see how much it'll move where the bumper and quarter meets, it still feels like there's another screw or two I can't find. Anything on that?

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually got it off! It has 3 screws on each side under the car, you have to feel for them. Then I found out that the reverse sensors are plastic-tied to the tabs of the pad, so I had to cut those and mess with the tabs until they came up, and put the Denali's pad on, put it all back and voila:

IMG_0454-1.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Tahoe looks better, debadge it and get a hitch cover though! :)
I'm interested in buying the roof rack and/or interior screen if it has any?

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I made a photoshopped version of that picture with the Hoe debadged, I liked it :]
The hitch cover, not a priority for me but I would like one.

You probably wouldn't want the roof rack as the right side is pretty scratched. What do you mean by interior screen?

Rsinsel, I would love to but the right side is the only usable one, the left is smashed to pieces. So I'll probably take off the right one and try to find a left one then install them. :)

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh then nvm about the roof rack.
When I said screen I meant Rear seat Entertainment TV if it has one?
Also does this Tahoe have a sunroof, if it doesn't I may be interested in getting the homelink switch panel since I don't have it, and the wood bezel cupholder too?

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I asked my dad about it and the Bronco owner may use it since he'll be wired for it.

They are also putting the whole dash of the Yukon into the Bronco. To be honest I don't know what will even be left to sell! Haha. I won't know what all will be for sale until it gets to the point of where we get ready to install these interior pieces.

But the DVD player is present, working, and is camel-colored, so if you don't have that interior color it'll stand out. If you do I'll see if it can be sold [though it'll be much later before we can list it anyways]. I'll let you know. :)

Also, the Yukon does have a sunroof. But I noticed the Homelink switch box can be removed separately if that works for you. But again, it may be used in the Bronco.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, thats goona be one hell of a Bronco, one I might actually wanna drive considering I think they're POS when stock!:yesnod:
Well just keep me informed on what's used or not!

kses123

Reaction score
I actually got it off! It has 3 screws on each side under the car, you have to feel for them. Then I found out that the reverse sensors are plastic-tied to the tabs of the pad, so I had to cut those and mess with the tabs until they came up, and put the Denali's pad on, put it all back and voila:

IMG_0454-1.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

You should put the exhaust from the Denali onto your Tahoe. It bolts right up and sounds a lot better!

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha the only reason why it sounds better is because the Denali has a 6.2L engine comapred to Tahoe 5.3!
In the above pic they have the exact same exhaust system, get Magnaflow of Flowmaster for better sound!

kses123

Reaction score
Haha the only reason why it sounds better is because the Denali has a 6.2L engine comapred to Tahoe 5.3!
In the above pic they have the exact same exhaust system, get Magnaflow of Flowmaster for better sound!

Actually, they don't have the EXACT same system. The tahoe has a 3" exhaust and the Denali has a 3.5". The muffler is louder too. Trust me. Done the swap!

thetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious how much did you pay for the Denali?

I don't know, actually. I never really asked my dad I guess.

You should put the exhaust from the Denali onto your Tahoe. It bolts right up and sounds a lot better!

Thanks for that idea!! How easy is it to do that, what all tools do I need? If it's not so bad I may just go out there and do it tonight. :)