Replacing MAF sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that my tahoe needed a MAF by my mechanic... my question is, can i replace the MAF myself? What is needed to replace the MAF sensor?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for my year, it was just 2 flat head screws to undo the big intake hoses from each side of the mass airflow sensor. then theres just a plug that needs to be removed and it should come right out. Be careful with it, like dont drop it, theres some really fine elements in it and they can break etc.
installation is just the reverse.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing MAF sensor....

Thanks for the info. i appreciate it .... i will proceed with this sometime next week...

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, let us know if it goes OK.

Pete

you can also check the classifieds section for a granetelli MAF, I think they were parting with it for 150$ which is a nice deal. anyway good luck!

thekl0wn

Reaction score
Try cleaning it first with either MAF cleaner or electrical parts cleaner. If that doesn't do it, then go back with the OEM MAF. The Granetelli's (and the like) are WAY overpriced, and are about as useful as "The Tornado". If you get it off a site like this for less than an OEM, it's not gonna hurt nor help you, except the pocketbook. :D

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAF sensor....

Wassup guys? Well, I finally took my tahoe to my mechanic to replace the MAF sensor..... Difference? Hell yeah...... now my tahoe takes off with no problem as it should and now I am able to burn rubber.... which is tight.... Also my transmission shifts smoothly too.... I guess the messed up sensor did not allow my tahoe to shift properly because the there wasn't enough fuel for the engine to produce the power to shift gears..... so far so good.... i went with a rebuilt MAF to save some bucks$$$$:D

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to clean mine now too. Should I completely disassemble it (carefully) before using spray cleaner or just spray it in through the screens while in tact? I read that the bulbs inside can be very fragile, but should be lightly cleaned with a pipe cleaner and some spray for maximum performance.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine a couple years back, one of the resistors had broke inside of it.. kon ran like crap - now it has one off of a 2500 silverado, that had the 454 in it... i don't guess there is any diff. in the MAF sensors.. it works just fine - the problem i had was that the factory airbox if wheeling, would feel up with mud and water.. no good on the maf sensor

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best 4 bucks spent! Tahoe runs so much better after cleaning MAF. More horsepower and better shifting!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you just sprayed right throught the honeycomb part and directly onto the little sensors? what exact spray did you use for this? Can I use some Dynamite motor spray for electric motors and such? Or do I need somehting special?

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up taking in completely apart. Just a matter of 4 hex screws once it is out of the hoses. JUST BE CAREFUL! The fillaments are very thin and fragile. I went to Napa and got a specific cleaner for MAF. Costs about 5 bucks. Made by CNC or something like that. I just sprayed the filaments without touching them and black stuff came right off. Then cleaned the screen and rest of housing. Including the connector parts. Took me a whole 30 minutes.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIGHT ON!@
Im on it dude.

Ill post here to see if I can get the extra 29 horsepower.

Seriously though, Im doin it tomorrow at lunch.