Serious Tech Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelheep

Reaction score
I have an 03 Yukon, 5.3L and my mass air flow sensor is bad. Has or does anyone ever changed just the capacitors/resistors to the performance ones without buying the jet performance mass air sensor? A couple bucks is better than spending three hundred, when that is the only difference I see. Thanks.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for your own benifit do not refer to resistors as "performance".

When you say that your MAF is "bad" what exactly led you to this conclusion? Is it damaged? Did you have it diagnosed?

If not any of the above, have you cleaned it? It can be cleaned using spray cleaner specifically designed for electronics. It can be found at Radio Shack. I'm sure if your gentle you can also clean it with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

steelheep

Reaction score
Diagnosis, said it was bad. So if I don't refer to the resistors as performance that tell me what is the difference between OEM and aftermarket sensors.

pincusa

Reaction score
I would suspect you could change them, but I suspect that when it's really bad the heater element is gone and the whole unit should be replaced.

But if you can find a blown component, then replace it and see if it works!

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diagnosis, said it was bad. So if I don't refer to the resistors as performance that tell me what is the difference between OEM and aftermarket sensors.

Performance MAFs have larger diameter and therefore they allow more air into the engine. They are Calibrated to calculate the proper air to fuel mixture based on the larger CFM.

Swapping the resistors in your stock MAF will either trick the engine to go lean or dump more fuel. Neither is better constantly. Lean it out and run the risk of detonation or dump fuel and get worse mileage and fouled plugs and cats.

I would seriously consider just cleaning it before trying anything else.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket is garbage, go buy some crc mass air sensor cleaner and save yourself $350. I'd check out the salvage yards for a used one if you have to replace it.