Side Molding on 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayhew944

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe LT and the side molding is peeling off at the edges of the two front doors. I had this fixed by a local body shop guy and now it's doing it again - it's really bad on the driver's side and just starting to peel again on the passenger side.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it? I think the molding is only held on by double-sided tape.

I am thinking about just taking the side molding completely off. Has anyone done this already? If so, does anyone have a picture so I can see how it looks?

Thanks!

Excelsior20

Reaction score
No fix details but I am experiencing the exact same problem with my 07 Tahoe.
I have the body color, plastic trim pieces and they are flexing away from the door. It's like the plastic is trying to curl so badly, it's ripping the tape off the door.

gos333

Reaction score
Body Side Door Molding

Same problem, when it peels back and gets dirt in the adhesive, it will never stick again. Only solution is to purchase new moldings and install properly. Wonder how much they cost? and how much paint will come off when they pull off??

xxxws6

Reaction score
Remove them completely for a smooth look. No paint will come off its just double sided tape.

gos333

Reaction score
would probably look nicer, but mine spends time at the grocery store and mall lots (wifes) and would hate to lose the protection. Seems like a defective mold or something.

PACABADA

Reaction score
moulding

Plastic is curling for sure from sun and heat. Need to go with new mouldings.
Getting the same problem on truck we just purchased.

Paul

Mike.michaels

Reaction score
08 door moldings new gm replaced

I just bought all 4 new GM door moldings and had them painted to Match and installed by a body shop.
Well now it's been 10 months later and the 2 passenger side moldings are curling and coming off at the ends.
I went to body shop and he told me GM has been having problems with them and they should cover it.
But since I bought the moldings (online) he can not do anything about it.
Has anyone heard of a "recall" or defect on replacement mouldings?
Or is it the body shop falt for not cleaning or installing properly ?
PS
Two days after stopping at body shop my daughter opened the rear door and the molding caught the front door edge and bent the doorskin real bad, an area that I also just had fixed.
What should I do ? Replace again ? Not cheap you know, and if they only last 6 months.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Mike

Murder n Mayhem

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe LT and the side molding is peeling off at the edges of the two front doors. I had this fixed by a local body shop guy and now it's doing it again - it's really bad on the driver's side and just starting to peel again on the passenger side.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it? I think the molding is only held on by double-sided tape.

I am thinking about just taking the side molding completely off. Has anyone done this already? If so, does anyone have a picture so I can see how it looks?

Thanks!

Taking them off is easy. Use fishing line and do an easy saw type motion while gently pulling towards direction your taking off.

Warning tho depending on climate your truck sits & how long the tapes been on no matter how you take them off there is a chance paint will come off (watch YouTube & you will see a lot of this from various ways of removal). Best time to remove moldings & badges is when truck is very young (newer).

As far as fixing permanently they should be removed, all traces of tape & debris, oils, dust & dirt removed & then have moldings reapplied.

Done this on several cars & trucks & various ways of doing it. Some came off no prob while others took paint with them that then had to be repainted. The fishing line way works best for me. I know the paint on Tahoe's from 2000-2007 is extremely thin (had depth measured when wanted to have our Tahoe mopped), not sure on 2008 & above.

If they already coming off I would remove carefully & hope paint stays but be prepared to repaint affected section if paint does peel.

strids97

Reaction score
Had this happen on my 08 LTZ, just went to the Autoparts store and bought the 3M molding tape, cleaned off the old tape and put new on. So far so good!