temp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew83

Reaction score
Guys, just out of curiosity.. on a summer day, where does your temperature normally run? Reason I'm asking, mine fluctuates quite a bit, (coolant levels are good) just dont want to start diagnosing anything if this is normal. thanks!

-andrew

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I can't say what temp it normally sits at, but I can tell you that it's pretty steady.

So you say yours fluctuates a lot? How much does it fluctuate? Does it get hotter when you stop, and then cool off when you start driving again (indicating a cooling fan problem)? Or is it more random (indicating a sticking thermostat)?

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, youe tenourature is always going to fluctuate a little because of the way the thermostat and engine coolant system works in your vehicle. Once the coolant that is in your engine gets heated up to a certain temperature, then the thermostat opens sucking all the cool cooland out of the radiator and into the engine, and simultaneously sucking all the hot coolant from your engine into the radiator. Your temperature may clumb to like 200 degrees, then suddenly drop down to 180 or something. Then it will slowly climb back up. It all depends on what temperature your thermostat is designed for.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine temperature shouldn't fluctuate more than a few degrees, as long as the cooling system is flowing freely. Older cars tended to fluctuate, but modern engines are designed to run most efficiently at a certain temperature, usually around 210 degrees. If it's fluctuating 20 or 30 degrees or more, then there is something wrong with your cooling system.

C-Lew

Reaction score
Mine never over 180 have a 160 thermostat, works great for thoughs hot days, having the 160 will open quicker to cool off sooner.

andrew83

Reaction score
Thanks guys, may have to get mine checked out, it runs about 160 - 220/230 and it'll jump while going down the highway, idling its usually fine. May start with replacing the theromstat and go from there.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine never over 180 have a 160 thermostat, works great for thoughs hot days, having the 160 will open quicker to cool off sooner.

I'm curious of how your fuel economy is with a 160 degree t-stat. I know that on smaller engines, the fuel economy will suffer if it runs below it's optimal temperature because the ecu will always think that the engine is in warm-up mode, and will cause the engine to run rich. If your coolant temp never gets above 180, theoretically, the engine really never warms up to the proper temperature. I'm not sure what the recommended t-stat temp is, but I can't imagine it would be below 180.

I used to run a 160 degree t-stat in my old 66 Chevelle because it had an overheating problem, but it didn't have an ecu (obviously), so it didn't have the same problems that newer engines can have when running too cool of a thermostat.

Budreau68

Reaction score
Temp readings of 160-220/30 is too much flucuation. I'd try a higher temp set thermostat to start, it's easy enough to change out. Maybe 180/5. I put a new one in mine last year, 175 I think, and the temp goes up and down noticeably. Couldn't tell you the range without paying closer attention though.

I'd be interested in fuel mileage too running a 160 thermo. Ideally you want the heat level constant, and that level to be around 210.