Throttle Response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, at a stop...if I punch it, It lags so much. I can hear it hit the floor before the truck even nudges. I was wondering what would help bringing me closer to instant response? I was thinking about a TBS but I've read your guys threads about them and how they are a waste so you've talked me out of that idea. I know a tune will help but Im looking for another alternative till I get around to that. I have K&N CAI, and Flowmaster Exhaust

Does anyone else have this problem?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a tune might help you the most. There’s this thing called ‘torque management’ and from everything I read it only retards the timing and basically de-tunes at shift points. I think there is more to it than that like the initial take off… It’s supposed to save the drive train. My truck is pretty quick after that initial lag you are talking about. I think a tune is the only way to scale back the torque management.

If anyone else has some insight I would love to hear it.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HUGE difference. I went from a superchips flashpaq performance 91oct tune to the Blackbear tune and it must have made a good 10+hp. Every aspect of drivabilty has been greatly increased; trans is more responsive, shifts are smoother/quicker, comes off the line MUCH harder, drops a gear quicker, pulls much harder up top. Best $250 I've spent on the truck.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Superchips FlashPaq but I returned it. I was NOT satisfied at all. The only thing I was impressed with was the shift firmness (I liked stock + 20psi) and the 0-60mph (I forgot if I did a 1/4 mile or anything, cant remember if it had it) but I returned it the same week, I was expecting a lot more

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my truck and have been babying it (142k miles) but I pulled out of a parking lot driveway into traffic, today, in front of a light that had just turned green.

I floored it to keep ahead of the pack of lunatic drivers on the way home on a Friday payday and... nuthin'. You would have thought I had just asked my truck to make me waffles by the way it reacted. All I had was the momentum of the driveway propelling me forward as I was cussing and saying some Hail Marys' simultaneously (I will probably go to Hell for that). Had to let off the gas before it would go. :Yawn:

I don't know if that was TQM or Abuse Mode but it about got me nailed to a Kenworth as a particularly irritated hood ornament. :ack:

I am used to my vehicles speeding up when I tromp the pedal and I REALLY hope a tune will fix that. I am on the Waiting List® so all of you that still have the cables and touring Europe with them hurry up before I get killed! :cryin:

Ed

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...Grebbler, the humor you put into such a serious reply..hahaha

hmmm, thats odd..you had to let off before the truck would pick up...sounds like a fuel filter/fuel pump issue to me...

my fuel filter was wasted....it caused the truck to bog out when I would floor it..the truck would not go ANYWHERE...I almost decided to drive the damn thing off the nearest cliff....I didnt know what it was at the time..when I took it in to get it looked at, thats what they determined as the problem...I drove the truck for like..2 days or so before I could take it in..I almost got into a few accidents as well...very scary lol

The fuel filter was replaced and BAMMM! The infamous NOR*CAL Denali was tearing up the mean streets of Ft. Sill, Oklahoma haha

If I were you, I'd check the filter/pump...but this is just from my own experience

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but I would check your tranny fluid level and make sure you are not running around town low, it will cause your truck to pause slightly before taking off, it would be trying to build up pressure to take off because of a lack of fluid.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe all fluids are good...I had the vehicle serviced...its been that way since I got the truck 2 years ago...it must be what they are saying about it being de-tuned...I was just trying to figure something out because I dont want to spend the money on tuning it before I get all my mods, then pay to have it re-tuned afterwards..I was wondering if there was another fix for it till I get the tune =/

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pause will lessen with BB tune but not completely I just had my tune done in MN and Justin and I talked about that and he said that TQM will cause some of that but your Torque Converter is the other big part of it.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I believe all fluids are good...I had the vehicle serviced...its been that way since I got the truck 2 years ago...it must be what they are saying about it being de-tuned...I was just trying to figure something out because I dont want to spend the money on tuning it before I get all my mods, then pay to have it re-tuned afterwards..I was wondering if there was another fix for it till I get the tune =/

What mods are you planning on doing? Re-tunes are free (just have to pay for shipping and deposit on a new PCM), and the wait list for NBS cable tunes is 5-6 weeks. So even if you got on it now, you may not get the cable for 2 months, you may have your mods by then :D!

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to get another tq. converter? what kind? I want this thing to jump before my foot hits the ground..I hate the .5 - 1 second delay that it has right now =/

And Jenna...I'll post a list of stuff today...I just want this thing to be a beast though....theres just something I love about watching the faces of these kids in their sports/muscle/rice cars getting destroyed by a 6,000lb luxury SUV ;)

How much does another PCM (ECU?) cost? Could I switch between the two anytime I want? without it hurting anything?

I wont be able to do anything right now though..Im still in Iraq for another 3 months, then wont see my truck for a good 5 months after that =/

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont think you need a new Torque Converter especially if this is your daily driver. A good cam, some headers, an intake and exhaust, and you will drastically improve the breathability of your Tahoe. You will not be disappointed in how well that land yacht will under those conditions.

For the Gen III (99-06) the spare PCMs are $100 and you risk nothing in swapping them in and out.

Be sure to shoot Justin an email from your .mil account so you can get the military discount!

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, I have K&N Intake, Flowmaster Super40 Dual in, Dual Out exhaust.

So the only other thing I need is Cams and Headers?

Would it cost more since its for a Denali? cuz it has a 6.0, AWD, all that extra stuff

It will be a few months till I get back, but I'll be sure to do that...thank you guys for showing your appreciation! =)

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well I know the cam that Justin got would work for you as he has the 6.0L Silverado SS. The cam he has is good for a blower so I wouldn't suggest that exact one. If you start looking into it more, let me know and I can help you pick one out for your application, or Comp Cams or Vinci has really good people you can call and talk to about a good cam as well.

Justin and I have the same headers except one set is for the 6.0L and the other set is for my 5.3 liter. There are tons of brands out there and a wide spectrum of prices. I would suggest ceramic coated long tubes.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm, so without a doubt, long tube headers..you say ceramic only? I was thinking to help with heat but that wouldnt matter...what are the benefits of ceramic? you use AEM? Is that what I should look at in your opinion? Also, I think I wanna wrap mine lol...they look kool wrapped heh plus I'd think that would help with heat as well.

Also, I keep seeing people with "2005 E-Fans"...everyone on here and performancetrucks.net is running '05 E-Fans...where did they come from? a 2005 GMC/Chevy SUV or something? I'm wondering whats so great about that year? and from what vehicle...thank you!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hmmm, so without a doubt, long tube headers..you say ceramic only? I was thinking to help with heat but that wouldnt matter...what are the benefits of ceramic? you use AEM? Is that what I should look at in your opinion? Also, I think I wanna wrap mine lol...they look kool wrapped heh plus I'd think that would help with heat as well.

Also, I keep seeing people with "2005 E-Fans"...everyone on here and performancetrucks.net is running '05 E-Fans...where did they come from? a 2005 GMC/Chevy SUV or something? I'm wondering whats so great about that year? and from what vehicle...thank you!

I think you will be fine with any LTs, just depends on how much you want to drop on them. I have the AEMs and like them, but you may find another brand thar you really like too. to every man their own :yesnod:.

E-fans are a great upgrade and I would suggest trying to find the 05 Tahoe/Yukon e-fans on ebay or a local junk yard. Do a search on here for more info on them, they have been discussed quite a bit. (05 was the first year Tahoes/Yukons had e-fans)

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didnt mean to post about something that had been talked about so much before, I just couldnt find anything about 2005. I'd read about them on here and all over and I've wanted E-Fans for the longest time...just, I didnt know what vehicle everyone was taking these "2005"s off of. But that makes sense, if GM put them on the Tahoe/Yukon in 05, it would be a perfect fit. =)

As for the LTs (which sucks because they will only get me extra performance....and more trouble with the law...being in California and all) I'm looking at Dynatech or Pacesetters..How are your AEM LTs workin out? and what is your opinion on those other two?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah there are a couple of threads on the e-fans that have been started as of late, but no worries! Yes the 05 fans will be a perfect fit, which is why it would be foolish to go with anything else.

We plan on moving back to California in the near future, so the way I have my headers set up is to enable me to pull the system out completely, and put the stock system back in. As for the other two, I dont have any personal experience with them, but I would suggest the Dynatechs over the Pacesetters from what I have heard.