Transfer case encoder motor installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geo1

Reaction score
If anyone has changed the encoder motor or just the encoder motor 'switch', please post the steps here. I am sure either the encoder motor on the transfer case is shot (or the little switch inside). I need to change it tomorrow BEFORE we get hit with the weekend snowstorm here in RI.
Thank you very much!!!
Happy Holidays!

pincusa

Reaction score
If anyone has changed the encoder motor or just the encoder motor 'switch', please post the steps here. I am sure either the encoder motor on the transfer case is shot (or the little switch inside). I need to change it tomorrow BEFORE we get hit with the weekend snowstorm here in RI.
Thank you very much!!!
Happy Holidays!

A little late, but hope it helps. I'll be doing the same service very soon
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=17739&hl=

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The encoder motor is what puts the transfer case into 2WD/4WD-HI/4WD-LO when you press the selector button.

The "encoder" switch on top of the transfer case closes when the transfer case is placed in one of the 4WD modes to provide power to the actuator to engage the front differential and opens to go to 2WD.