Trick for Nicks and Rust on your Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spatch733

Reaction score
Im sure this would work on any vehicle, but i did it on my 97 hoe. I had alot of nicks, dings, and rust forming on the front lip of my hood. I came up with an idea to fix it. I sanded and preped the lip of the hood, just an inch or two, above and below the lip. I taped off the edge of the hood and covered the majority of the hood with news paper to prevent over spray. I went to my local auto parts store and picked up some dupli-color do-it-yourself bed liner in the spray cans, and a bug guard. I sprayed the front edge of the hood with the bed liner and let it dry, then installed the bug guard over that. It came out great, looks really clean and prevents anymore rust from taking over my hood. I was very proud of my idea and thought i would share. I will take some pictures when i get a chance

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
better make sure you used a rust reformer or it will re-rust out and bubble out the bedliner.

previous owner used double sided tape on the bug guard and now i have some nice rust spots across the front of it. gived me a reason to buy that aftermarket hood. :)