Truck Dying Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickp

Reaction score
This started a little while ago. The issue starts when I'm going down the hwy at about 65-70 and about 2000 rpm. When I punch it the truck starts to bog down, like it's not getting enough fuel. Eventually it gets worse to the point the truck dies. Sometimes the truck will start but when I press on the gas it bogs down again and I cant even get to 3000 rpm, then it dies again. After it dies I've always been able to get it started again after 10 min or so of trying. Then the truck runs fine for a while. Today it did it 4 times and I barely got home. Could this be the fuel pump failing?

I have a custom tune from Black Bear Perf. and after loading their tune the truck ran great. I sent them a data file after loading their tune and Justin told me the truck was running lean at high RMP, so on his suggestion I replaced the fuel filter. If that didn't fix the issue, he believes the fuel pump isn;t putting out enough pressure at the higher rmps and that it might need to be replaced. Based on that information, I'm thinking the fuel pump is crapping out on me. When BBP told me the truck was running lean at high rmp, I could not tell there was anything wrong with the truck, meaning it drove great. There were no symptoms whatsoever, at any speed.

Here's my other question to you guys. A couple of months back my AutoCal was popping O2 sensor errors, so I replaced all 4 of them. Shortly after doing that the AutoCal was giving me a Catalytic Converted code, which I just cleared. I came across a couple of posts stating that a Catalytic Converter can be clogged and cause these bog down issues, is that correct? Can a Cat. Converter do that??

Small update,
As I barely made it home today, the truck was dying in my driveway. It would barely rev up over 3500 to 4000 rpm. Two hours later the truck started up just fine with no issues at all. I even revved up the engine with no issues at all. COuld the issue be temperature related. Maybe this is the reason the truck starts up again after 10 minutes of trying to start the truck on the side of the road.

Thanks
R

tjsandog

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, tell what year vehicle, what engine, how many miles on it, etc. and I'm sure some of the more experienced members here will be able to help you with your problem.

clkelley

Reaction score
It could be one or the other or both. It could be a combination of the fuel pump going out as well as the cats being clogged. Yes, they can be clogged. When the engine is cold, the ECM runs the engine while not receiving information from the O2 sensors because they have to be warm to provide proper information. If the cats are clogged, then the effect on drivability won't really be noticed unless it is good and warm.

Take it to a local muffler shop and have them hook up to the exhaust to test the flow of the cats to ensure that they are not clogged. If they are, then I bet that is your main issue.

Having them clogged results in having the ECM adjust the air fuel mixture according to the information it is receiving from the O2 sensors. This COULD be what is causing it to run lean.