turn signal switch replacement help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel1114

Reaction score
hey guys im going to try to replace the turnsignal cruise control wiper switch , has anyone does it before and how and how hard is it , and what do you have to do with airbag can u just keep the key off or must u dissconnect the battery

help

john:confused:

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, haven't done it on the GMC (yet), and I have one waiting for it! I have replaced two of them in the Explorers, and it wasn't difficult at all. YES, disconnect the battery (and turn your lights on to drain the residual). I'll follow this thread to see if anything "special" is needed. I haven't had my truck for a month yet, so I don't have a manual yet either...

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude hit the search button...did a write up.

Find my thread...type in turn signal switch. I was able to pick up one for $66 brand new wit a 1 yr warranty. And it was an improvement from the one that I currently had.

You don't have too disconnect the battery cable, but I would recomend it b/c your dealing with electric to dam close ot the steering wheel for comfort. Hope you have a petite build...gonna be a tight squeeze/

diesel1114

Reaction score
yea im not exactly small lol , but i know what u mean , now i tried to search but nothing comes up under your name so let me ask u , does the steering wheel have to come off and how does it come off exactly, and how hard is it to run the electric through the columb , any help is appreciated

john

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel does not have to come off. Remove the top cover and it will be exsposed. I forgot what you needed but My Uncle owns a shop and he has every tool under the sun.

And order it off Ebay for a Chevy s-10. Same thing...but post it before you buy it. Ebay is banned at the school library. But if I get a link to it...I can access it.
Mine orignal cruise control in my 99 was Just activate and deactivate. With the S-10 I was able to Increase cruisig speeds with out setting and resetting the Cruise Control.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my switch but didn't disconnect the wires a few weeks ago (I was trouble shooting some lighting quirks). Anyway, I got my new multifunction switch and will be installing soon too.

I ended up removing the steering wheel. It was easy and definitely gives more room to work, but it is not the only way. I couldnt get the key switch off, to remove the upper column cover (I found out there is a tab you gotta hit to release it). Anyway, I still got the switch unit unbolted, but the harness looked all taped up w/ the main IP wiring, so I just stopped and re-assembled after testing the circuits.

If you get this done before me... post some tips!.. esp the wires harness...

diesel1114

Reaction score
ok guys weell i changed it last night and without taking wheel off, man i tell u its tight real tight, took lower columb cover off and lifter top columb cover out of the way had to really work it bend it without messing it up, best thing i can say be patient and be prepaired for cut and sore fingers, and also take teh lower dash off with ac vent and metal part of dash that unbolts where vent sits, really makes a difference, then i have to say this littel stupid screw was giving me prorblems only becasue i did not want to break the main harness connector, so there is a 6mm bolt that holds the leads from the switch to the main harness , get that bolt out otherwise ur asking for big trouble and if u break that thing i dont know what u would have to do after that , and that small screw i said before which was a real pain, now u loosen it up all the way and now the bulk connector moves, u undo these 2 funky clips which lock the bulk connecotr to this bracket with little screw and now u have play and can work , but i have to tell u only way its gnna work is if u cut the tape and stock wire ties that hold it together be care not to cut a wire, and there is a littel 2 wire lead that goes around the steering columb shaft, i think its either brake light switch or neutral saftery switch i couldnt tell but its a real pain in the ass its in a tight spot and has a greek plastis lock insert u have to pull it out first before u can remover the connector, one u get it out re arrange some of your wires to make it easier for u and then reverse the steps and ohh yea dissconnect battery i didnt at first and when i removed switch it was dangling and then hitting stuff and horn would go off, i know i can walk u though it but heres the funny thing now , my wipers still dont work so i know it must be wiper motor or pulse board getting there slowly but surely